Make ahead breakfast ideas.

Options
emmiecooper78
emmiecooper78 Posts: 5 Member
Looking for some ideas for grab and go type breakfast things. Really want to make this work and loose weight but always struggle to make sensible choices in the mornings as I'm up and out early and don't have much time to make something from scratch. I've tried overnight oats but I'm not keen.
Thanks

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I make my own protein/granola bars. There are lots of recipes on allrecipes.com, I made up my own recipe by combining them. I wrap each bar in waxed paper and write the weight in grams on the wrapper. Makes it easy to grab one from the fridge and log it. It's a little work/time to make them, but it makes a batch of 16 or so that will last for a while.
  • paniolo1
    paniolo1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to make a slow cooker batch of steel cut oats with flavorings, nuts and fruits. Freeze in single serve bags and microwave at work. Eliminate the nuts and it is very low cal. I had 3-4 different recipes I would rotate. Each batch would give a dozen+ single serve bags. Apple Cinnamon, Eggnog Cranberry, Cherry Almond, Banana Coconut Milk and Pumpkin Pie versions were all very tasty. Microwave 2 minutes and ready to eat.

Now I've gotten lazy and leave a bulk bag of quick cook oats at work. Cut up some fruit (banana, berries, pears etc.) Dump a handful oats (1/4 cup) in a coffee cup at work, add hot water and microwave 25 seconds (watch it or it boils over!), pour fruit over top and eat at desk.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I make my husband batches of sausage and egg biscuits and freeze them. They take about a minute in the microwave and reheat very well.
  • ktimperley2
    ktimperley2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make egg popovers. 3 cups egg beaters, 1/2 an onion - chopped and sautéed, Portabella mushroom, sautéed spinach, 1 tsp Penzey's Fox Point spice. Just mix and bake in a popover or cupcake pan until tops are golden. Makes three servings for 133 calories, 25 g protein, 7 carbs. I also like chopped tomato and fresh basil as add ins. I just reheat in the morning in the microwave for 30 secs.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,611 Member
    Options
    Spanish tortilla is often served at room temperature.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2738/real-spanish-omelette
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    On Sunday I make a batch of Kodiak Power cakes for the week and put peanut butter on them. I then pack them for each day of the work week and throw it in my lunch bag the night before.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    paniolo1 wrote: »
    I used to make a slow cooker batch of steel cut oats with flavorings, nuts and fruits. Freeze in single serve bags and microwave at work. Eliminate the nuts and it is very low cal. I had 3-4 different recipes I would rotate. Each batch would give a dozen+ single serve bags. Apple Cinnamon, Eggnog Cranberry, Cherry Almond, Banana Coconut Milk and Pumpkin Pie versions were all very tasty. Microwave 2 minutes and ready to eat.

Now I've gotten lazy and leave a bulk bag of quick cook oats at work. Cut up some fruit (banana, berries, pears etc.) Dump a handful oats (1/4 cup) in a coffee cup at work, add hot water and microwave 25 seconds (watch it or it boils over!), pour fruit over top and eat at desk.

SImilarly I make 3-4 portions of steel cut oats and put in seperate containers. Just needs to be nuked in microwave. I add spices (cinnamon or whatnot) and frozen fruit (i prefer raspberries). but you can add nuts, fresh fruit, maple sirop, pb, chia, yogurt, or whatever you want seperately. I have also just used jam in the past.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Breakfast burritos and loaded hashbrowns with an egg scrambled in are my go tos. A lot of options with both of these when it comes to add ins and flavors.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Breakfast burritos and loaded hashbrowns with an egg scrambled in are my go tos. A lot of options with both of these when it comes to add ins and flavors.

Same here. I do eggs with spinach or cheese. There are lower calories wraps that work well at Aldi (large, and 90 calories). Wrap, freeze, and microwave in the morning. You can do a wrap for under 300 calories easily.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Pb&j on light bread. Approx. 215 cal.
    1cup nonfat milk in sippy cup....no spill.
    Great on the go breakfast.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you are on reddit but look at r/mealprepsunday. I've seen a ton of make ahead breakfast burritos and breakfast sandwiches you can refrigerate or freeze ahead of time.
  • bezlooney
    bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Http://looneyforfood.com has a lot of make ahead low calorie recipes. I like making the spinach quiche on the weekend and having a slice each morning during the week for a quick breakfast. The pb banana muffins are really good as well!! (And no that site contains my name but has nothing to do with me😁)
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Grits or oatmeal is quick and easy, but kinda bland IMO. When I was working, going to grad school, and raising two teen daughters...time wasn't a luxury I often had. Typically I would cook on the weekends (lasagna, chili, burger patties, whatev) for the week. Usually two meals, some in the fridge and some in the freezer to get us through the week, plus either a pizza or bag frozen dinner to break up the menu one night. I would also make up breakfast sandwiches (egg, ham, cheese, muffin or just reg bread) and again, some in the fridge, some in the freezer. That way during the week, I didn't have to cook, and cleaning was just a few plates in the dishwasher. Another option was have frozen bag of fruit (or fresh if in season), yogurt, and cheerios, shredded wheat, or granola. 1 part of each in a container and out the door. You could premix, but the grains/cereal would get soggy, and since it didn't take that long to spoon a dollop in anyway...I just put an extra 5-10 min in my morning schedule. You could do the same with breakfast burrito, just premake, freeze, and nuke as needed.
  • Melani_702
    Melani_702 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Crack an egg into a cupcake tin (lightly Sprayed w Pam). I add chopped tomatos and spinach or ham sometimes. Whatever you like in your eggs really. Give it a quick swirl to cover the veggies . And bake in the oven at 325 for about 15 min.
    They keep in the fridge well if u make a whole batch.
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    banana and some raw nuts or seeds
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of go-tos because I just cannot get up early enough in the morning to make breakfast these days.

Bircher muesli: Combine 30g rolled oats, 1/2 grated apple, 40ml apple juice, 80g flavoured yoghurt and leave in fridge overnight and top with strawberries/berries. About 280 calories.

Chocolate protein oats: Combine 30g rolled oats, 10g cocoa powder, 10g dark chocolate chips, 1 scoop vanilla protein power (about 12g for the protein powder I use), drop of vanilla essence, splash of sugar free maple syrup, 1/4 cup of skim/almond milk and leave in fridge overnight and top with banana slices. About 350 calories.

Single serve quiches: Fry off 100g chopped bacon/ham, a handful of sliced button mushrooms and 1 chopped onion, add handful of baby spinach and cook until wilted. Combine in a bowl with 6 beaten eggs and 150g grated cheese, divide into 6 muffin pans and bake at 180c for about 30 minutes. About 270 calories.

If I'm not making ahead it will usually be eggs and toast or pancakes/waffles :)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I like lots of different things and often take breakfast to go. Some of my favorites:

Yogurt with granola, sometimes add fruit. Portion into individual containers. You can do the night before, but if you don't want the granola soggy then add that last minute.
    Boiled eggs. Peel in advance and put in a ziploc bag.
    Grits and egg. Cooked in advance and put in individual containers. Just zap in the micro for about 30 secs.

I also do a lot of oatmeal. I make a dry mix of quick oats, toasted coconut, chia, hemp seeds, nuts and craisins (or whatever I have) and keep a big container of that. Just put 1/2 cup in a pint mason jar, pour in boiling water and cover for a couple minutes. Add yogurt and/or fruit. With the craisins and yogurt you don't need any added sugar. I have been known to eat this while driving sometimes. Easier than it sounds and less distracting than talking on a cell phone. :lol:
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Like you I have very little time in the morning to make something fresh. My go to is some sort of ready-made bar (KIND bars, Nutrigrain, various protein bars) or either buying the already hard boiled eggs from the store and grabbing a couple from the fridge each morning. Just saying- if it's convenience you're looking for- you can easily make these types of options work! :smile:
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What GREAT ideas!!!!