Happy Scales

Options
Its_Haleeyyy
Its_Haleeyyy Posts: 39 Member
edited November 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I just downloaded Happy Scales and I am a bit confused and have a (probably dumb) question.

What does your moving average mean and how does that differ from your actual scale weight?

My weigh in yesterday was 187.2 and a total of 7.9 pounds so far, and my happy scales says a "moving average" of 188.2 and says 8.7 pounds lost and Im just super confused on how this works

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I can’t explain the math behind the moving average but the idea is that it’s basically smoothing out the weight fluctuations. If you look on the graph of your weight loss that they give you over time you’ll notice that the line for the moving average is pretty linear while your actual weigh-ins logged will be more up and down.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    A simple moving average calculation works by averaging your weights over the most recent time period--I believe the default in Happy Scale is two weeks. There are more complex ways to calculate moving averages that place a greater emphasis on more recent numbers. Happy Scale has options to calculate moving averages in either of these ways, as well as even more complex methods of predicting weight trends. (https://happyscale.com/support#matm6)