Undisturbed sleep necessary for muscle gain?

darreneatschicken
darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
I've only been sleeping an average of 6 hours a night + a long nap when I get home from work.

Is this negatively affecting my muscle growth?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    That dependant how sleep effect your response. The guidelines in 7.5 hours a night for the average person. Depending how much non useful stress you have in your life you might need more or less. The only way to find out if you are concerned is to schedule better sleep.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Provably false. I am acquainted with a powerful woman, goalie on her hockey league, living with a sleep disorder. She is plenty strong.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I get crap for sleep. Maybe 4 hours uninterrupted on a perfect night. I've had zero issues growing. Maybe I'd have grown *faster* if I didn't have sleep issues - but it hasn't stalled my progress and I'd consider my gains to be on the higher end of the spectrum when it comes to time vs. effort.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    I have a 1 year old and 5 year old. Your sleep schedule sounds like a dream. But I’m making some gains on this bulk anyways. Optimal.. probably not
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I'm a chronic insomniac. I have, by improving my sleep hygeine and doing all the things you're told to do to improve your sleep, managed to settle into a regular pattern of around 6 hours, sometimes a bit more and sometimes less, and have accepted that's the way I am. I know that getting more would be ideal but I've tried and it just doesn't happen. I haven't noticed that it affects my workouts. It might and probably does affect muscle growth especially as the odds are stacked against me (63 and female) but it is what it is.
    If you're able to improve your sleep then do so but don't stress about it if you can't - it'll keep you awake!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Ps just a thought - if you could manage not to nap, you might find you sleep longer at night. Giving up day time naps was the main thing that improved my sleep.
  • thaevilgenius
    thaevilgenius Posts: 34 Member
    I average 6hours sleep per night when you have kids those numbers are just numbers impossible for parents with toddlers. Hopefully it wont impact my recovery much. Always had a very light sleeping pattern
  • 80sSynthwave
    80sSynthwave Posts: 25 Member
    I know anything under 3hrs a night is proven to adversly affect brain function and memory. Some are perfectly fine with 4, others 10, just depends on a variety of factors. I know the healthier you are, you'll generally need less than the daily reccomendation.