Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Getting callouses from lifting

2»

Replies

• FindingLihua
    FindingLihua Posts: 12 Member
    you could try moisturising after going to the gym
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    chalk up ... use lots, don't be shy :)

gloves will mess up your grip especially as you go heavy.

i'm proud of my callouses but I also make sure i moisturise with a really good hand cream. my callouses are there but barely visible or able to be felt.

Mine are made worse by also doing girevoy sport (kettle bells). That can really stuff up your hands, I've ripped mine so many times.

But keeping your hands moisturised and exfoliating well will take care of it :)
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
  • ButterflyJourney
    ButterflyJourney Posts: 46 Member
    Try grip pads. They are rubber, still give you good gripping, but protect better. I never wear gloves, but that is because I prefer direct contact with the iron.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    I use chalk. I've always hated wearing gloves.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    I wear gloves and still have callouses.

ETA: I love my callouses
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    I worked out for years without gloves, plus i am always washing dishes. After age 30 my hands looked awful. I now use thin reebok womens gloves. I started used palmolive dish soap... They have some good therapuetic ones now. Or i put on hand lotion under my rubber dish gloves. My callouses are so much better now and my grip is fine!
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 595 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I will try out my gloves again to see if they help. I will also try lotion and removing them. If the gloves don't work, I can try the chalk. I workout at home so nobody to tell me I can't use it but will it make a big mess?
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I will try out my gloves again to see if they help. I will also try lotion and removing them. If the gloves don't work, I can try the chalk. I workout at home so nobody to tell me I can't use it but will it make a big mess?

It won't make a big mess. I use the chalk cone for my pool table. You don't need tons. Just enough to dry out your hands.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Its normal. Use a pedi egg to sand down smooth and prevent them from getting ripped off.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 595 Member
    try the gloves and see how they feel. i personally don't like gloves.

also there a a few things you can do.

revisit your grip: 400px-Proper_Grip.jpg if you are doing it like in the second picture switch to a grip like in the first. a hook grip might help as well. as does chalk.

remove them:
    i do this if they get to bad. there are creams... and knives

learn to live with them:
    if they don't get so bad that they limit your hand movement than they are a purely aesthetic problem.
    And chalk will get you kicked out of most commercial gyms.

what? really? that sucks.

I tried this today and it helped a lot! Thank you!!:flowerforyou:
  • Tavysh
    Tavysh Posts: 204 Member
    I'm cheap so since chalk is free at the gym I use that.
  • DrNerdy
    DrNerdy Posts: 168 Member
    Think of your callouses as trophies. You have worked hard and earned them ;)
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    callouses are pretty unavoidable if you lift weights barehanded. I have them at the base of all my fingers.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Gloves. I use a nice set with wrist supports included. They most likely run $10-30 from most of the big box sporting good stores.