Full body workout...reps? Heavy or light weight?

Options
I decided I want to do a full body workouts 3x a week and do cardio the other days except for Sunday(rest) my goal is to lose about 10-15 lbs of fat and gain lean muscle. My question is how long should my strength workouts be? And would I want to do lots of reps with light weights OR heavy weights with few reps?

Replies

• lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This does not answer my questions. I’m not asking for a workout routine. My question is how long should my strength workouts be? And would I want to do lots of reps with light weights OR heavy weights with few reps?
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    hesn92 thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lillypade wrote: »
    This does not answer my questions. I’m not asking for a workout routine. My question is how long should my strength workouts be? And would I want to do lots of reps with light weights OR heavy weights with few reps?

the programme will tell you....
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Pick an organized routine and it will tell you reps, weights, and time.
    Tomlose weight, set up your stats in MFP, set your goal to 1 lb wk, buy a good scale, and weigh and log everything you eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    lillypade wrote: »

It depends on the program...there is no "should." Low rep/Heavy programs are designed to maximize strength...medium weight/medium reps are designed to maximize physique and/or hypertrophy...low weight/high rep programs are designed to maximize muscular endurance.

So this all depends on what your weight training goals are. Pretty much any good program is going to have it's foundation laid on the big compound movements...more is not always better. Outside of a high volume bodybuilding program, most people are done within an hour. My program takes me about 40-45 minutes...it is designed as such that I can skip on accessory work if I'm short on time and be done in 30 minutes.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options

Sorry for the detour:
    @farmercarla, you look wonderful (healthy, strong, and best of all, happy). As a woman in her 60's I am always inspired by the others of a similar age who don't let it deter them.
    Cheers, h.

I like the heavy weights and 10-12 slow reps, for about 30-35 minutes. I loved what it did for me at age 60, when I lost 40 lb. I got away from it, but I'm back.
    t5n3kfp5a0mu.jpg

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    How long do you want your strength workouts to be?

Define light or heavy weight in relation to your virtual 1RM.

Define lots or few reps in relative to your current fitness.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Sometimes squats take me 45 minutes...sometimes an hour and a half. There is no 1 right answer for length of time needed.

I also don't know why anyone would rather do lots of reps than less reps, but to each their own.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A strength program should be however long it takes to do the workout prescribed for that day by the program you're following. The program you're following should also dictate the number of reps and how much weight to use.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Sometimes squats take me 45 minutes...sometimes an hour and a half. There is no 1 right answer for length of time needed.

I also don't know why anyone would rather do lots of reps than less reps, but to each their own.

I guess it depends on goals and what people feel comfortable with.

For example I don't like doing anything under 8 reps per set (if I do it is rare and only certain exercises and once per week, maybe). I don't like the feeling of going too heavy, it makes me feel like I am on the border of injury and I'm not feeling the right muscles working, not to mention my body doesn't respond positively to it. I can imagine how heavy low reps would be very exciting and challenging for many, just not for me.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

It all depends on why you're lifting. I use my strength training to enhance/complement my running right now, which means I'm doing lower weights and more reps (5x10 in my main lift of the day) as I'm looking at building muscular endurance and don't want to risk injury by going too heavy right now. I'm still progressing each session but in much smaller increments to when I was lifting heavy and doing 5/3/1

• Chieflrg
    edited November 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

For example I don't like doing anything under 8 reps per set (if I do it is rare and only certain exercises and once per week, maybe). I don't like the feeling of going too heavy, it makes me feel like I am on the border of injury and I'm not feeling the right muscles working, not to mention my body doesn't respond positively to it. I can imagine how heavy low reps would be very exciting and challenging for many, just not for me.

I don't believe anybody likes the feeling of going too heavy.

Regardless of goals, load management is important.

One is more likely to injury themselves from poor load management at any rep range.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

One is more likely to injury themselves from poor load management at any rep range.
    Not to derail OPs thread, but can you explain what you mean by load management - just not trying to lift weights for more reps than you can do, or does that term mean more?

• Chieflrg
    Options
    mreichard wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Not to derail OPs thread, but can you explain what you mean by load management - just not trying to lift weights for more reps than you can do, or does that term mean more?

Do you mean along the lines of fully fatiguing yourself on a max of a certain rep scheme?    If so, that is one example of poor load management, especially if it is repeated. 

Load management is part of programming your target intensity or average intensity relative to your perceived exertion. This is done with any rep scheme. One can go too heavy intensity relative to their 1RM on very low reps, very high reps, or anything in between.

Poor load management can occur when training with too high of intensity or average intensity without allowing adequate recovery before adding more stimulas at a useful intensity.

Useful intensity relative to the individual is very key within the program someone is using.