Need help to resolve a debate on calories

Options
My friend and I have a debate on calories, we both know 3500 calories equals one pound. Here is the debate, I think if you eat in one day a total of 3500 calories (Why would you???) that of course you would would gain a pound. My friend thinks if you total amount of calories to maintain weight is 2500 calories... you would need an addition 3500 calories to gain that pound in one day.

Please help us resolve this friendly debate

Replies

• sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Surely it would be 3500 on top of your TDEE?
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your TDEE is. (the number of calories you need to maintain your weight) That varies from person to person according to how much they weigh, their metabolism and other factors as well. My TDEE is about 1900 calories. If I eat more than that, I gain weight.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    She is right, and you are wrong.
    And plenty of people can eat 3000 + a day, quite happily, if they train hard.
  • griffith5150
    Options
    OKay sorry not to sound stupid... but what is TDEE bit??? LOL I just do the basic thing with MFP, it figures to maintain I am 2120 so it minus 500 for 1620.

But to clarify our debate my friend thinks I can eat another 3500 calories on top of my 2120 in order to gain the weight....
    I figure if I just eat 3500 calories I gain the weight...

This all started with me explaining this program lol
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    And why do you think you would gain a Ib eating 3500 calories total?
    Are you dead and with no metabolism or something ?
    Even someone with a low metabolism naturally burns calories off.
    You gain weight when you eat above what your body uses with daily living, functions and exercise.
    That is what TDEE is.
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    OKay sorry not to sound stupid... but what is TDEE bit??? LOL I just do the basic thing with MFP, it figures to maintain I am 2120 so it minus 500 for 1620.

But to clarify our debate my friend thinks I can eat another 3500 calories on top of my 2120 in order to gain the weight....

Yes, if you ate the 2120 plus the 3500, that would equal a pound gain. The 2120 is just what your body burns (hence why you eat at the -500 to lose)

Of course if you consistently ate 3500 calories every day, that would lead to weight gain too, but a straight pound in a day would be the whole 3500 on top of your 2120.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

She is right.
  • griffith5150
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification on TDEE! was always wondering what that meant!

Well thanks for resolving the debate... now I owe her a Grande Frap from Starbucks! LOL
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

If you maintain at 2120 then you would eat 3500 above that for a grand total of 5620 cals to gain a lb. Might be more calories needed if you were already at a running deficit for the week. I'm sure someone will correct me f I'm wrong.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    OKay sorry not to sound stupid... but what is TDEE bit???

TDEE = total daily energy expenditure
    Basically, the amount of calories your body burns daily in order to maintain your weight.

In order to gain a pound, you would have to eat your maintenance calories PLUS 3500 more.
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options

If you maintain at 2120 then you would eat 3500 above that for a grand total of 5620 cals to gain a lb. Might be more calories needed if you were already at a running deficit for the week. I'm sure someone will correct me f I'm wrong.

yep, you're right.