Dizzy spells

Options
I know....I know this forum isn't the doctor. Lol just want to see if anyone had similar experiences.

I have been working out every other day (1 hour cardio/1 hour weights) and 10k steps each day. I eat at least 1450calories a day and I'm 5'5 at 175lbs. I have been working out at this rate for the last 3-4 months. The only thing that changed was my calorie limit. But that can't be the cause of dizziness because I upped my intake from 1200 calories to 1440.

Dont have any health issues so could I be doing something wrong? Not dizzy every day maybe 2x a week tops.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Is there any kind of pattern as to when this happens?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Have you changed anything else about your exercise or eating routine? Do you eat before and/or after you exercise? I need a small snack before an hour long workout, and if I don’t eat pretty soon afterward, I don’t feel very good later in the day.
  • corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I drink 64oz of water every day. So definitely hydrated.
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    Thing that makes me dizzy: dehydration. Check how much fluid you take in daily, and that you haven't added to your diet anything diuretic (like caffeine)

That might be it. I work out after work and I'm always tired towards then. So I've started drinking 16oz of coffee about an hour or two before the gym. Being that I already drink 16oz in the morning....that may be too much.

I usually eat a small snack at the same time I have the afternoon coffee...because hungry. Lol
  • corysmithsmail
    Options

Besides it usually being evening...no other pattern
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,005 Member
    Options

Every day ... or only at certain times of the month?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    It could also just be stress. Last year I was under a tremendous amount of stress - I had an assistant that was worthless and I couldn't stand her. I started having dizzy spells - had the worst one the night before I gave her an evaluation that lead to her quitting. Shortly after she quit, the dizzy spells went away. Haven't had one since.
  • corysmithsmail
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Not every day... maybe twice a week
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Your stats are close to mine..I'm 5'5" and 170. How long have you been eating 1450? If you were still eating 1200 calories and keeping that kind of activity level, the dizziness would make sense. 1200 is way too little for someone close to our stats with an active lifestyle. For reference, MFP has mine currently set to 1560..i do about 10K steps and workout about 3x a week. Your intake might still be a little too low. Is the 1450 the amount you are netting (meaning you eat back exercise calories), or is it your gross amount (meaning you don't eat back exercise calories)? Do you drink enough water? Also, do you drink a lot of caffeine? Take BP meds?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,005 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Not every day... maybe twice a week

But every week, not just one week out of the month?

I'm asking because about 10 years ago, I started getting dizzy spells in the week leading up to my period. Dr couldn't figure out why. Didn't seem to be food-related.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Sinus issues can make me feel dizzy, the weather affects it for me.
  • jludwick78
    jludwick78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I get super dizzy after I work out if I don’t eat enough before. I pretty much have to eat a meal before the gym and it totally defeats my purpose! Lol

I did notice propel water helps me so it could be my electrolytes.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking a lot of water and sweating you may have an electrolyte imbalance.

You may also not be eating enough of your exercise calories back. Try adjusting them.

1450 is a good sedentary/light activity level, but sounds low, given your stats, if exercise is included.

Cheers, h.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I looked at ops food diary and I think they are eating more since most things arent weighed so too little calories should not be the issue. I doubt she is underestimating(I could be wrong,depends on how she is usin spoons and things) and they are eating more than 1450 most days so I would say that exercise calories are being eaten back. so then that means it has to be something else IMO.
  • corysmithsmail
    Options
    I looked at ops food diary and I think they are eating more since most things arent weighed so too little calories should not be the issue. I doubt she is underestimating(I could be wrong,depends on how she is usin spoons and things) and they are eating more than 1450 most days so I would say that exercise calories are being eaten back. so then that means it has to be something else IMO.

Everything is weighed in my food diary. If it's something that states 1 serving of something. That's based off a recipe that I made and inputted into MFP and also weighed. So most things are weight. And I eat back some exercise calories. Not all.

Your stats are close to mine..I'm 5'5" and 170. How long have you been eating 1450? If you were still eating 1200 calories and keeping that kind of activity level, the dizziness would make sense. 1200 is way too little for someone close to our stats with an active lifestyle. For reference, MFP has mine currently set to 1560..i do about 10K steps and workout about 3x a week. Your intake might still be a little too low. Is the 1450 the amount you are netting (meaning you eat back exercise calories), or is it your gross amount (meaning you don't eat back exercise calories)? Do you drink enough water? Also, do you drink a lot of caffeine? Take BP meds?

I do drink a lot of caffeine. No BP meds. Didnt notice the dizzy spells at 1200cal/day. I selected active level and 2lb loss a week and MFP gave me 1440cal limit.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    You have ~30lbs to lose to get mid range BMI.
    2lbs a week is probably too few calories for the amount you have to lose, especially if you are inconsistent in eating back exercise cals.

I know you upped from 1200, but 1450 could well be too low. Just because you are eating more doesn't mean you are eating enough.

1lbs a week would be a better goal (you probably don't have enough fat to lose faster without compromising muscle, etc),and consistently eating back 50%, or any other %, of your exercise cals.

Is/has your daily activity dropped?

If you don't see improvements by eating more, go see your doctor.

Cheers, h.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Everything is weighed in my food diary. If it's something that states 1 serving of something. That's based off a recipe that I made and inputted into MFP and also weighed. So most things are weight. And I eat back some exercise calories. Not all.

I do drink a lot of caffeine. No BP meds. Didnt notice the dizzy spells at 1200cal/day. I selected active level and 2lb loss a week and MFP gave me 1440cal limit.

you have a lot of tsp,half a patty,1 container,cups for oatmeal which is going to be more than a cup weight wise and calorie wise ,1 cup cake,etc. so those things if you are not weighing them in grams can be off by up to 20% per cupcakes or what have you. like the sams club cookies you have 2 cookies down how much did the 2 weigh together? your bread is listed as 2 slices, each slice wont weigh the same,same way with a scoop of protien powder,chances are its going to be more than if you weigh it.

Im just saying that you are eating more most likely than you think so that should NOT be the cause of your dizzy spells, Im saying I dont see where you arent eating enough like I stated in another post when you said you at 1450,your diary shows you ate more than that. nothing wrong with eating more.

were you eating less sugary things at 1200 than you are now? if so that may ne a sign of something. Im not saying sugary things are bad, but for some people too many sugary things can cause issues. are your snacks eaten later on in the evening too? not knocking them in anyway just trying to see if they may be causing the spells .