Worst DOMS ever, tips needed

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
My crazy sadistic trainer, whom I of course adore, decided to dedicate 30 minutes of our today's class to squats. As in bodyweight, really deep *kitten*-to-grass squats, done in bursts for extra difficulty with short rest periods in between. Needless to say it was pretty clear even while doing them that walking would be a challenge later, and forget going down stairs...
I have forced myself to walk for about an hour a few hours later, cursing the whole hour, had warm showers, did lots of stretching and still my legs are shaking. An ideas how to make this pass faster? I am under no illusions about tomorrow, but still, if anything can help other than drugs, I am willing to try :)

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'd slug a shot of vinegar - doesn't have to be apple cider vinegar, but the ACV advocates do yell the loudest. I don't believe there's any science, but anecdotally, I've seen some evidence that it helps. Either dilute it or drink a glass of water to wash it down. It's not great for tooth enamel to leave it on your teeth, and don't aspirate it - it can be damaging to your esophagus. A bunch of people will be along to "Woo" it, but it's not drugs, and it's low-risk.

Pickle juice is mostly vinegar, if you find that more appealing - I know not everyone does. I think it's a great excuse to drink from the jar.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I’ve used epsom salt bath soaks and over the counter nsaids for doms.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Water, foam roller, stretching, hot (epsom?) bath, sauna/steam-room, mild movement: best bet.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you eating adequate protein?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I had them wheelchair me into the hospital and give me morphine in an IV drip. Well, I sure wanted to. And know that you mean about walking down stairs, it's like the brakes after gone!

Give it another day or two, then, ironically, do more squats. Not a crazy lot of them, a light set or two.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Are you eating adequate protein?

When my legs still feel tired when I get on the bike the next day, it always seems to mean I'm not getting enough protein. That became my rule, if my legs are sore on the bike, eat more protein. Turns out other people have that rule too. Because it works.

Same question about carbs. It's fashionable to go low carb and that means slower recovery.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Stairs: Drop to your buttocks or belly and go down like a baby learning to navigate the stairs. It's less painful to slowly walk up the stairs than the sitting method.
    DOMS : Ice and heat packs. I like an iced bath to numb the pain, although it isn't for everyone. Pain erasure trigger point massage. Deep tissue massage. Muscle relaxant (ointment) .
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Try a hot/cold treatment, with stretches. Get in the shower, and work it to absolutely as piping hot as you can stand it, and stretch your legs. Then crank it to as cold as you can stand for around 1-2 minutes, then back to hot and stretch. Do this a minimum of 5 times.

Similar to the ice bath/hot tub treatments that strongmen use in thier recovery - but I'm assuming you don't have access to a hot tub and a tub around 40 degree water in the same vicinity.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Candy! No, really. You need fast digesting carbs after your workout to replenish the glycogen in your muscles and help with recovery. Save about 30 grams of fast digesting carbs specifically for after the workout. Something with dextrose like pixie sticks or gummy bears is best because it goes directly to the bloodstream and doesn’t need to go through the liver.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Went for a hike today, because my family insisted. A really easy one, something like 6 km and an easy, family friendly route. Now, despite the the hot and cold showers, the massages and the stretches, I feel like an idiot. At least my coworkers will have a great laugh tomorrow in the office, watching me trying to walk.
    Plan to go for a swim tomorrow evening, which usually helps when I am very sore from lifting. I just hope I do not drown in the process...