How does a typical dinner for you now compare to typical dinners from your childhood?

Options
Copper_Boom
Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
For me, there's not too big a difference, but I actually eat all the vegetables now!

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot better now. Hubs and I aren’t on a budget and he is a really great cook. I also eat more vegetables, lol.
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Let me see. I go way back. To the 1950's which included meat, taters and, of course, veggies in season. Mom "put up" whatever Dad grew. But mainly we focused on the meats. And there was butter. Lots and lots of butter back then. But portion sizes were smaller, even in fast food places. Today a 1/4lb burger at McD's is considered small. But I can remember a regular burger being smaller than that.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating home cooked food and i still eat home cooked food. I eat more of a variety now. I used to eat Persian food 4-5 days a week. Now I eat it maybe once a week. I didnt get soda, junk, or fast food growing up and am still not big on it. That stuff is a once in a while thing for me.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I cook for myself most nights, with the exception of I may have a can of soup or frozen veggie burger occasionally.

As a kid it was usually convenience foods, not that I minded. Mom and stepdad worked nights. We had pizza night once a week, pasta night, grilled cheese and soup, noodle and sauce packages, quick easy stuff. When we were a bit older we had a freezer stocked with stuff my brother and I could make easily for ourselves, frozen fries, fishsticks, meatpies, microwave meals etc. On Sundays often a roast or steak and mashed or roast potatoes and vegetables.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Restaurant meals were better in the 70s and 80s. Parmesan, Romano, and other stank cheeses weren't sprinkled or melted into every appetizer, salad, soup and entree.

Cake frosting and cake fillings were almost never made of cream cheese.

Cheesecake was a low rent treat found in northeast coast delis, not a national fetish which overtook the dessert menu of every corporate chain restaurant.

Yes the restaurant experience was far more civilized and far less cheesy.

Home cooked meals are 1000% better now because I'm the one who cooks them.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    We're British so childhood meals were almost always meat potatoes and veg. High fat. Plus my parents were budget conscious so mostly cheaper cuts of meat, also organ meats. I'm sure those slabs of rubbery, gristly flesh were what put me off eating meat forever. At least there wasn't much reliance on processed foods, most stuff was made from scratch.

My father was diagnosed with idiopathic hypertension fairly young so we had to go low sodium and I now have an aversion to the taste of salt. Which is a good thing since I inherited his hypertension.

My meals now look completely different because there's no meat and way more veg. I don't usually bother with potatoes or rice or a starchy side, I prefer vegetables.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    As a child, we had the healthy home cooked meals most every night.

I now only eat Strawberry Frosted Pop Tarts over the kitchen sink.

I think back to all of those wasted home cooked meals, when all along I could have been enjoying Pop Tarts.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My dad was chef so we ate good back then. I had to eat what was put in front of me or starve. McDonald's was a treat. Compared to now i eat terrible.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I think back to all of those wasted home cooked meals, when all along I could have been enjoying Pop Tarts.

Do you also rally to change the draconian legislation that began yanking the Pop Tarts out of virtually every school vending machine in the land? The kids loved them even though they couldn't even put them in toasters. Now they have to make do with small bags of Chex Mix and it isn't right.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    They are the exact same. I cook like my mother, or at least try my best to.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    Ad a kid my main food staples were rice and beans.....i rarely eat them anymore.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Well, I've gone vegetarian and I'm more likely to cook outside my culture than my mom was. Also, we grew up with vegetables as sides, boiled to mush and served with salt and butter/margarine. I'll use them in stews and casseroles; I roast them, braise them, etc. And they aren't relegated to sides much.
  • bhadbahabi
    bhadbahabi Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I grew up on hamburger helper and microwaved meals. Home cooked was rare and often it was made by one of us kids. Nothing beats my mom's home cooked mac-n-cheese, meatloaf, corn bread and cheesecake pie.
    I also rarely cook now and generally just cook whatever from a box.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Do you also rally to change the draconian legislation that began yanking the Pop Tarts out of virtually every school vending machine in the land? The kids loved them even though they couldn't even put them in toasters. Now they have to make do with small bags of Chex Mix and it isn't right.

it's symbolism over substance.

I thought we lived in a free country?

fruit and vegetables, right? isn't a strawberry a fruit?
    with a pop tart, it's both a fruit and a filling ( I call that a win-win)

And....

I say, if you going to force me to eat vegetables, it's going to be corn................... chips.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    my parents hated me, so I ate a lot of cheese pizza....

it was the only food they could slide under my locked bedroom door.

• PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,845 Member
    Options
    my moms wasn’t around a lot so i remember lots of canned commodities and then like beefaroni and chicken & stars. and we had mcdonalds a lot. now i cook alllllll the time and have gotten to be a lot better. we still have mcdonslds tho

Sometimes I still get the Chicken & Stars if I'm sick. :#
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,158 Member
    Options
    We usually had meat and potatoes, and bread. AND you had to eat the chicken skin, or sit there until you did. Definitely a clean plate club! I don't remember a lot of vegetables, but I think we must have had some, as we had a huge garden every year. Dad disliked casseroles, so we didn't have those very much. He made a wonderful beef, veg., barley soup, that I try to make in the winters, too.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    My sister (@k8eekins) will likely come in with a thoroughly written explanation of our family table ... My current observation ... Major difference is that we shop with a budget, whereas my mother buys the whole store.

Remember being embarrassed shopping with her, with all of us pushing carts filled to the brim. Most of her's were impulse purchases. Smh. She'd wave to the manager, who would run over to checkout our purchases. I love being normal - lining up like everyone else.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the 80s eating a lot of the same stuff over and over. Some of it was home-cooked (brown beans & cornbread or roast with new potatoes & carrots) but much more of it was very processed, easy stuff (Hamburger Helper, Sloppy Joes). Canned green beans, corn or peas were what passed for a "veggie side". We went out a LOT usually for pizza which was Pizza Hut deep dish pepperoni most of the time. If it wasn't Pizza Hut it was usually a chain steakhouse or buffet.

Now, my husband cooks most of our meals and we don't eat meat at home except for seafood. We eat a lot of beans, tofu, chickpeas, etc. Always multiple vegetables and usually fresh - occasionally frozen for out of season veg. A lot of our food is based on Indian, Thai, or Mexican dishes. We dine out one day a week (one or two meals) and hit up a huge variety of restaurant types.

One more MAJOR difference. Dessert followed EVERY dinner when I was a kid. Usually full-on desserts like strawberry shortcake, pie, cake, or ice cream sundaes. Fruit wouldn't have been an acceptable dessert to me or my parents back then. Now fruit's the norm, and not every evening. About once a week I'll bake a 1/2 batch of cookies or we'll go out for an ice cream cone, but daily big desserts don't happen.