Is it okay to eat below my bmr if I'm fairly sedentary?

Options
xokimmyxox
xokimmyxox Posts: 5 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello! Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm 18, 5'9.5 and about 154 pounds. I am finally at a healthy weight (lost some weight before joining MFP) but I want to lose a few more vanity pounds to get around 140. My bmr is around 1500 calories. I have been eating approximately 1350 calories to lose 1.1 lbs per week. I was just wondering if this is okay? Am I harming my body at all? Do you think this is a reasonable goal if I only have about 15 more pounds to lose? I do exercise a few times a week and eat these calories back.
Thanks! All advice is appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Your body is fairly good at adapting to your changes and telling you when you have dropped too low. You get chilled extra-ordinarily easily, you might develop skin and hair issues, and you won't have energy.

BUT, you have to be willing to listen to your body.

Start keeping a very thorough diary ... log how you feel, what you are eating, how many calories you are eating, macro percentage, and exercise routines and length. Chart it out in excel. When you drop too low, recognize the feelings and keep above that level.

Everyone is different, what works for one does not work for another. Find what works for you, and change as necessary to reach a healthy goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,507 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound crazy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • xokimmyxox
    Options
    Your body is fairly good at adapting to your changes and telling you when you have dropped too low. You get chilled extra-ordinarily easily, you might develop skin and hair issues, and you won't have energy.

BUT, you have to be willing to listen to your body.

Start keeping a very thorough diary ... log how you feel, what you are eating, how many calories you are eating, macro percentage, and exercise routines and length. Chart it out in excel. When you drop too low, recognize the feelings and keep above that level.

Everyone is different, what works for one does not work for another. Find what works for you, and change as necessary to reach a healthy goal.
    Okay thank you so much! :smile:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound crazy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Agree. If that works for you and you aren't light-headed after workouts or wanting to gnaw your arm off from hunger, keep with it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Seems legit.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Sounds fine. Don't automatically eat calories back. Eat when you're hungry or feel weak. You probably aren't burning as many calories as those devices say.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Sounds fine. Don't automatically eat calories back. Eat when you're hungry or feel weak. You probably aren't burning as many calories as those devices say.
    You had to go throw a wrench in the works huh?
  • xokimmyxox
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :happy:
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

honestly?

What are you honestlying?

OP, 1lb loss per week is a lot when you are 18 and at a healthy weight. If you really do need to lose more, I would bump it down to 0.5 lbs or even 0.25 lbs per week to avoid any chance of harming your metabolism, growth or development.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Not at all, it's reasonable.
  • xokimmyxox
    Options

honestly?

What are you honestlying?

OP, 1lb loss per week is a lot when you are 18 and at a healthy weight. If you really do need to lose more, I would bump it down to 0.5 lbs or even 0.25 lbs per week to avoid any chance of harming your metabolism, growth or development.

How could I argue with you. :flowerforyou:
    Not sure what the "honestly" was for either, but as long as I'm losing 0.5 - 1 lbs per week I'm happy! :)
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I was going to say this is crazy. Until you said you eat back your exercise calories. It doesn't sound crazy at all if you are doing that. If you are losing a pound a week though it might be your bmr is a bit higher than the online calculators say, so I would keep track of that and make sure you don't dip too low calorie wise ie lose more than a pound a week.
  • xokimmyxox
    Options
    I was going to say this is crazy. Until you said you eat back your exercise calories. It doesn't sound crazy at all if you are doing that. If you are losing a pound a week though it might be your bmr is a bit higher than the online calculators say, so I would keep track of that and make sure you don't dip too low calorie wise ie lose more than a pound a week.
    Okay! I'll try and stick to around 0.5 lb to 1 lb per week! Thanks! :)
This discussion has been closed.