Mental Block - Insight?

Options
This is a rant, but also a request. Has anyone else done this? What was the key to breaking through the mental block?

While I really do have medical issues that have kept me from seeing more progress. I had a realization recently. I don't believe I can look and feel good about my body any more. I can't 'see' it in my mind's eye. I start to see progress and I let it go (even without medical stuff) and end up back where I started. WHY? What am I doing? I enjoy and love the progress when I see it, but then somehow and for some reason convince myself that it really isn't working and give up. WHY? I used to be fit and have a nice body and feel good, but I don't see myself being that again. And, at the same time, I'm SO tired of being ashamed of my body and fat. UGH. Just needed to rant.

I don't have a food addiction, I enjoy exercise (active outdoor stuff & lifting) and I really want to feel and look good again. What am I doing to myself and why?

Replies

• linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe some what of a depression? I will kinda say the same thing happens to me. I have lost about 45 pounds in 6 1/2 months. But I could be so much more I don't diet as I should of exercise all the time. I will be "good" for a couple of weeks and when I don't see a change I get back to somewhat of my old ways. But what is good is that I have learned how to eat so when I say my old ways I am just maintaining which is somewhat good to do so you know you will not gain it back. I have "mental" problems but by looking at me you can't tell at all. I am 100% functioning person but I do have depression, ADHD, anxiety problems and most likely other problems they haven told me about yet. LOL but really. Feel free to add me or message me if you have any questions :)
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My body image of myself seems to always be about 10 years behind. I was a chubby kid, through high school. After college I slimmed down a bit but still thought of myself as fat. About the time I realized that I was a normal healthy weight, I had already crept up to not healthy anymore. Still it wasn't that bad in my minds eye, until I read the Dr report that I was morbidly obese. Yikes, what a wake up call.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm bipolar and for me it was partly getting on the right meds, partly finding the right support system, and mostly believing in myself. For me it was easier to be fat because then people would just see a fat girl and not be interested in talking to me, I could hide in plain sight. I kept sabotaging myself because I didn't have the confidence to be a part of the world.

I just had to dig really deep within myself and do a lot of soul searching. It was never easy.

I wish you the best of luck. If you want to feel free to add me or keep my username and message me if you need to rant.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Wow. You people are good. I think there is some truth in each of those replies, so thank you.

I'm not sure if I'm depressed per say, but I do think I have a bit of the "blahs" and I give up because who cares mentality. I can't quite explain it, but there is something there.

It DOES also take me a while to realize how far gone I am. I don't see progress when it happens. And, I don't see the decline creeping up- It just hits me suddenly and then I get more sad/depressed about it.

And, I REALLY want to be comfortable and look good like my friends, but also have a bit of "just blend in" and disappear for some reason but I CANNOT figure out why. I used to be attractive and got a lot of attention and now I'm the fat friend. There are groups of people that I avoid because they are all fit and look good. I have even avoided seeing old, dear friends because I don't want them to see my like this (they would not care, but I sure would).

Thanks for the insights. I need to pinpoint my issues better and then figure out what to do about them.

Right now my feelings waver between hopeless/who cares/ it will never happen and I am pi$$ed and so done with feeling like this so am determined. I hope that determination wins over whatever crap is holding me back.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    So how do you get past it/ break through the mental block?

I'm going to have to think about this and actively come up with a plan so I don't do this again.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    One thing that was a huge help to me was watching old episodes of How To Look Good Naked, both the BBC version and the U.S. show, though the BBC one is definitely better.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It's scary. It's uncomfortable. People notice. (These are some of my experiences into the "why" of my mental blocks).

Just keep at it. Every time you have a set back it's an opportunity to learn about yourself and your triggers. And every time you keep moving forward, you break down that mental wall a little. Recognize the thoughts and feeling you are having, don't just "stuff" them (literally and figuratively).