Unexplained Weight Gain

Options
2»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you could maybe try a diet break - but with running 40-50miles a week and lifting - i'm leaning towards @GottaBurnEmAll comment about cortisol based water weight

at 5'4". 135 you are well within the normal range of weight for your height - based on the info you gave (late 30's, 5'4", 135 and your workout schedule) - this is what tdee gives you:
    https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=37&lbs=135&in=64&act=1.725&f=1 - maintenance calories of 2200 a day; so to aim for .5lbs a week (since you are within that normal limit) - a deficit of 500cal would be 1700 a day (using TDEE you don't eat back exercise calories)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    So I am 5’ 4” and 135. One year ago I was 120, eating the same calories and with the same exercise routine. The only thing that changed was my diet (I am now gluten and dairy free) and having 2 surgeries on my colon. I do carry some muscle but I can tell from the way the weight sits that it isn’t all muscle.

I use the database to log my runs and weight training and add this to my base. So for example if I run for an hour and weight train, I add that 600 or so to 1250. If I walk a substantial amount I add that as well, like if I walk an hour at lunch. I sync everything with Fitbit and try to eat under that total. I feel like Fitbit always says I have calories left when MyFitnessPal says I have hit my total.

So you're overriding your Fitbit and manually logging your exercise?

You're eating around 1800 calories a day, is that correct?

Can you tell me what Fitbit says your average burn is?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Oops, re @deannalfisher's post. 0.5lbs a week would be a 250 deficit giving 1950 cals, wouldn't it?

Cheers, h.
    Oops, never mind, I read wrong.
  • DietQJ
    DietQJ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What meds are you on? When I had issues with my colon some of the meds made me gain quickly. Steroids in particular.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,930 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    "My doctor says it is just part of being a woman in her late 30s." - Oh dear, if my doctor said this to me I'd find a new one ASAP and warn others about this one. Hopefully they are helpful in other ways but this "advice" is just nonsense.

I once saw a doctor for neck pain related to an auto accident. After telling her I lifted weights and ran, she actually got mad at me, saying weight training's bad for bones and running's bad for ovaries. How someone like that holds a medical license is beyond me.

"Hey doc, get out of the 19th century" :-P