Ideas for eating more cooked veggies without daily cooking?

Options
13»

Replies

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    soup, chilies and curries are one way to get your veggies in. cook big batches and you can freeze meal portions.

you can clean and chop veggies on teh weekend and just cook in the evening.

you can buy pre-chopped veggies in most vegetables

you can buy frozen vegetables in various formats and mixes.

my go to is frozen cauliflower rice. nuke 5 mins then i add some laughing cow cheese. or soya sauce

Thank you, I really wish I had the space for lots of frozen veggies. I’m getting some good ideas from your replies, and I think I’m set to try a few things to keep in the fridge — but I’m also getting the sense that it’s not normal to have such a small freezer. We keep the weekly compost in there and that takes up 1/3 of it, and it’s got an ice cube maker, then we have a small amount left for leftovers and frozen foods with purpose (not mine), and there is about 1/8th I can use for my sandwiches.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mg07030 wrote: »
    How about making a green shake in the
    Morning? Toss spinach and kale in blender or nutribullet with additions of choice and blend! Presto! Greens and no cooking, no refrigeration. :)

Ya, I add protein powder, chia seeds, etc., to kale or mixed green smoothies.

These always sound like good ideas but I can’t choke down protein powder no matter how much fruit I drown it in. My last attempt was 1 tablespoon in a full smoothie and after that I just gave up. It’s too expensive to keep wasting.

Also have not been able to eat kale without gagging 😞
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The prep time held me back for a long time too. Then I learned a trick from a good friend recovering from a heart attack (mega lifestyle change).

He cut his veggies in the morning and cooked them in the evening. Like you, I’m not my brightest in the evening. Having all the prep time done, I can handle ten minutes or less I front of a wok or a broiling oven.

Steamed is not mush if you time it well. My veggies are done in six minutes.