Getting enough protein

2»

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    I have the same problem, I don’t like any source of protein 😞. I just suck it up and chug a nasty protein shake on days I’m lacking (which is most days....) they have vitamins in them too and I take my multivitamin now with iron in it. Premier protein is the most bang for my buck, 30 grams of protein, only 160 calories, smallish serving so you can chug it without tasting relatively quickly and if you get them at Costco they’re around $1 a bottle... good luck!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Hi, wondering if anyone has any ideas on easy way to get 45 grams of protein a day. Diagnosed as anemic I am really trying to eat better. Have daily iron under control. Frosted mini wheats. Who knew👍
    I don’t eat a lot of beef or chicken. Not vegetarian but just don’t like it. Love eggs but not as much protein as I thought there would be😔. Need protein without too much fat or calories. Any ideas. Thanks

Other meats - Turkey, Ham, etc?
    Cottage Cheese - low/zero fat options available
    Chickpeas
    Tofu
    Cheese
    Protein-Enriched Milk
    Fish/Shellfish
    Yoghurt

Plus if you struggle with normal food, you can supplement through a whole host of protein powders/bars/snacks available.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Dilvish wrote: »
    one of my favorites is 1/4 cup of roasted, salted pumpkin seeds and 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt. 31g of protein and only 350 calories. Healthy and nutritious.

Considering 31g of protein is 124 calories lot of other stuff in there.

Probably not the best choice if looking to add protein with fewer calories. Beef jerky gives 30g protein for 160 calories.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Deviette wrote: »
    I have also struggled with protein.

I added Skyr yogurt (high protein, low fat, low calorie), and protein fortified cereal. I've also made an effort to make sure I have some sort of protein source in every meal (beans, and lentils are great vegi alternatives to meat). And a great addition is a glass of milk at the end of the day if you're a little short.

Also, 45g is very low. As a very minimum you should be consuming at least 1g per kg of body weight.

One gram per pound of body weight is a bit much. Minimal protein needs are accurately stated in terms of lean body mass, but since determining that accurately can be an issue, a rough guide is to use IDEAL body weight.

Saying that, the minimal requirements are .6 - .8 grams per pound of that ideal weight. Lifters, aging, active, and dieting people should eat towards the higher side of that figure.

There's nothing wrong with eating extra protein, of course. I personally do because I find it filling. But for someone struggling with it, too high a goal might seem daunting.

I said one gram per KILOGRAM body weight.

However I did misremember. It should be 0.8g per kg of body weight as a minimum. This is what is recommended by WHO as a bare minimum.

The figure is normally quoted as being the recommended amount of protein is 0.8-1.2g per kg of body weight, hence how I got to 1g/kg as being the median number.

Good grief, I was tired when reading and apologize! I totally saw lb instead of kg!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I have also struggled with protein.

I added Skyr yogurt (high protein, low fat, low calorie), and protein fortified cereal. I've also made an effort to make sure I have some sort of protein source in every meal (beans, and lentils are great vegi alternatives to meat). And a great addition is a glass of milk at the end of the day if you're a little short.

Also, 45g is very low. As a very minimum you should be consuming at least 1g per kg of body weight.

One gram per pound of body weight is a bit much. Minimal protein needs are accurately stated in terms of lean body mass, but since determining that accurately can be an issue, a rough guide is to use IDEAL body weight.

Saying that, the minimal requirements are .6 - .8 grams per pound of that ideal weight. Lifters, aging, active, and dieting people should eat towards the higher side of that figure.

There's nothing wrong with eating extra protein, of course. I personally do because I find it filling. But for someone struggling with it, too high a goal might seem daunting.

I said one gram per KILOGRAM body weight.

However I did misremember. It should be 0.8g per kg of body weight as a minimum. This is what is recommended by WHO as a bare minimum.

The figure is normally quoted as being the recommended amount of protein is 0.8-1.2g per kg of body weight, hence how I got to 1g/kg as being the median number.

Good grief, I was tired when reading and apologize! I totally saw lb instead of kg!

I did the same thing. So, you are not the only one.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Breakfast for me after a gym session - cottage cheese, protein powder, oats and chia seeds. Usually 30 to 45 grams of protein depending on how much protein powder I add.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    I love halo top or enlightened ice cream I eat the whole pint for 240-280 calories, and 20-24g of protein!
    Also greek yogurt topped with berries, or greek yogurt topped with pumpkin spread.
    Feta, goat, and mozzarella cheese give you ~6-8grams for 70 calories. Nut butters can also help add up the count!

I eat 100-120g of day without eating meat or protein powders/shakes/bars mostly from the list above.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I believe shrimp is the biggest "bang for your buck" in terms of protein to calories ratio. I love shrimp and seafood in general, so that's a regular go-to for me.

I cook chicken in a variety of ways, but outside of beef jerky or the occasional ground beef, don't indulge in much beef or pork.

I like the 1st Phorm protein shakes (they have a few variations to choose from, plus lots of flavors). My favorite is the Loop-D-Fruit or just Vanilla.
  • bbttumbleweed
    bbttumbleweed Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all for the suggestions 😊
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Protein powder, Kodiak pancakes, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, egg whites, lentils, PB fit powder, string cheese.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited November 2018
    Hi, wondering if anyone has any ideas on easy way to get 45 grams of protein a day. Diagnosed as anemic I am really trying to eat better. Have daily iron under control. Frosted mini wheats. Who knew👍
    I don’t eat a lot of beef or chicken. Not vegetarian but just don’t like it. Love eggs but not as much protein as I thought there would be😔. Need protein without too much fat or calories. Any ideas. Thanks

Fellow anemic here. If you're going to get your iron from a fortified food like cereal, you might as well take a supplement and get better quality iron. There are many forms of iron and for me finding the right one was what I needed to get my iron and energy levels up, and to slow the hair loss. I'm currently taking iron bisglycinate: https://smile.amazon.com/Solgar-Gentle-Iron-Vegetable-Capsules/dp/B00013Z0QA/

I need to take two of those plus eat to around 100% of the RDA to stay in Low Normal.

I have extremely heavy menstrual periods and during that time I eat Wellshire Liverwurst; 2 oz = 35% RDA iron. If I can't make it to Whole Foods I get Boar's Head Liverwurst, 2 oz = 25% RDA iron.

(For people who want more iron but don't like liver - neither do I; can't stand the stuff, but I do like liverwurst. Wellshire also makes turkey LW. Less iron, but also less fat and calories.)

I also mix 1 T of blackstrap molasses into a cup of warm water every morning. That gives me 20% RDA. Here's what I order https://smile.amazon.com/Wholesome-Sweeteners-Organic-Molasses-Pack/dp/B001M0G2PO/ but caution - this brand can leak, so best to not get anything else with that order. It's the cheapest, so I continue to put up with it. Plus last time Amazon just credited me for the whole thing :smiley:

Vitamin C helps with iron absorption and I mix powdered, buffered vitamin C into the molasses "tea" to create a dreadful concoction. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I4AIUA/

And some ACV to balance the flavor profile :dizzy:
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
    edited November 2018
    45 grams of protein a day is a very low intake. Dieters need extra protein while losing weight.

If you like eggs, buy carton egg whites and add some to the eggs you eat when you scramble them. Egg whites have all the protein and no fat and are very low calorie.

This - 45g of protien is really low, if that is all you are eating and you are in a deficit and/or doing ANY physical activity you are going to lose muscle mass.

Also, find a good "split the difference" on the whole 1g/lb of BW vs 1g/kg is to eat at 1g per lb of Lean Body Mass.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    one of my favorites is 1/4 cup of roasted, salted pumpkin seeds and 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt. 31g of protein and only 350 calories. Healthy and nutritious.

Probably not the best choice if looking to add protein with fewer calories. Beef jerky gives 30g protein for 160 calories.

Which would be great except OP said she doesn't like Beef or Chicken

True but jerky to me at least doesn't really have the same taste/feel as a burger, chicken breast, etc. You won't find a many other foods with as big a bang for the protein/calories ratio, Very portable and pretty reasonable price per serving also.

2672csywad0v.png
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member

True but jerky to me at least doesn't really have the same taste/feel as a burger, chicken breast, etc. You won't find a many other foods with as big a bang for the protein/calories ratio, Very portable and pretty reasonable price per serving also.

No you're right it tastes like old leather :lol:

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

2672csywad0v.png

I dislike meat (it's the reason I'm a vegetarian) and the idea of eating jerky with the texture and flavor concentrated? UGH.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member

2672csywad0v.png

whose jerky label are you showing us? those nutrition numbers are unusually low in sodium and calories from fat compared to others I've seen.
  • Packerjohn
    edited November 2018
    amy19355 wrote: »

2672csywad0v.png

whose jerky label are you showing us? those nutrition numbers are unusually low in sodium and calories from fat compared to others I've seen.

l9jbakme7zp5.png

Believe this is from a fund raising pack, think it's the same thing I get at Sam's Club. Sam's has it in a box of 15-20 individually wrapped servings.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member

2672csywad0v.png

I dislike meat (it's the reason I'm a vegetarian) and the idea of eating jerky with the texture and flavor concentrated? UGH.

I don't even dislike meat and I feel like this.
    Our local supermarket were giving sample at the check out. All I can say is I'm glad I had a tissue in my pocket.

Prawns have a great profile, 125g 90cal, 17g protein. I love prawns but always forget the bang for the buck. Need. To. Eat. More.

Cheers, h.