getting started on changing eating habits after 40 years

Options
Hello, i have finally taken the step to change all our eating. low carbs high protein, this is our 3rd week and willpower is going down. I have lost about 6 lbs of water I guess. Need encouragement, lots of it. hoping this app will help by tracking carbs for me. curious about my next set of numbers from the doc...

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What's your reason for the high protein low carbs?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    What's your reason for the high protein low carbs?

That's my first question. My next questions are: What are your stats? How did you set up your program to lose weight as in what are your goals/week, activity levels? What numbers are you trying to improve? If you have lost 6 pounds already, which for 3 weeks is awesome, yes, some is water weight and that is to be expected. If you are losing willpower already, you may need to re-evaluate how you are going about this. There are many people on here who can help you.
  • nacicecreamlady
    nacicecreamlady Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A.) i am diabetic. Doc suggested very adamantly to change way of eating. stressed not diet, changing way of eating for life. b). I love my sugars c). shopped at Walmart but did not feel the need to examine the discount bread and snack rack as usual. walked through candy isle, no problem...didn't want any of that stuff. but I did get a 90% dark chocolate bar. its still in pantry. D) Triglycerides hit about 500! Have to make changes to be able to keep caring for husband! I walk for two people am his legs as he has no cartiledge in his knees left, (he is 76 y.o.)e) exersize? I walk for two people, housework, get me's, walk when I feel able, basically no exersize, I have PAD in my hips and hurts badly to walk very far. f.) also not re-evaluating. very stubborn, just concentrating on finding low cars and making different meals that satisfy and keep us healthier. willpower back up after shopping trip to walmart! and 4 more pounds gone...Hopefully I can lose enough to be able to walk longer, breathe better and get off some med...I do have local contacts to ask questions of when I hit a stumbling block.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    good luck!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Here's to learning new things! Week 3 is where the real work begins! The first two are all "oh, I've got this, I can do it" then by week 3 the excitement of "new" is gone and the scale hasn't really moved and the 'why bother' and mind games set in. It's ALL in your mind! You can do this! and you Do have a why bother - for your health! Write out your "why's" and keep them where you can read them when you're feeling down.
    Here's to the Next 40 years!
  • nacicecreamlady
    nacicecreamlady Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you Nancy. Week 3 was okay, but 4 got me. So am taking 2 days off. Then jumping back on the band wagon. When I say taking a break, breakfast was 2 egg omlet with ham, green peppers and cheese. cooked in olive oil.Lunch was 10 chicken nuggets fom Burger King (we had been at the doctors for hubby, and other short stops.) Probably no supper just a light snack later. Rice cake n avocado! So not really getting off completely, just a little.
  • iEddaddy
    iEddaddy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don’t know what your stats are but by the sounds of it a Lo calories diet would be more beneficial than a low carbs one. No carbs diet is for when you’re trying to lose that skin fat. That think skin fat. Try keeping your calories around 1200 and you’ll see a huge difference especially if you’re taking 10,000 steps each day.