Losing weight with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Fibromyalgia

Options
Hello MFP lovelies! Anyone else trying to lose weight and get fitter while struggling with CFS/Fibro? I’m lucky in that my symptoms are only mild these days but I seem to suffer nasty setbacks if I drop my calories below 1500 or do anything above gentle exercise. But I’m a horribly positive person (most of the time!) and I’d love to help motivate others as well as receiving some welcome advice from others in a similar position.

Replies

• lissymg
    lissymg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Tracy! Lissy here. I *just* restarted with MFP and am like you in that I am trying to become more fit while dealing with CFS/Fibro. One additional wrinkle for me are chronic migraines. My diagnosis of CFS came in 2010 and it changed my life. Going from a fitness freak weighing 118, to a soft chick now close to 140.
    Fortunately, a couple of caring physicians entered my world and the symptoms are improving - enabling greater mobility. Yay. MFP is already pointing out some shortcomings in my ‘splurge’ selections (who doesn’t love Nutella?!).
    It sounds like you and I have pulled through the worst of the disorder- we just have to keep moving forward, and remain aware of the times that our bodies need to rest; and accept that there may be days when that 1500 calorie count just isn’t in our best interest. We are the turtle, not the rabbit - but we will win the race. Hugs
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have something like fibro and something like chronic fatigue.
    yes, i've lost weight with it. i focus on a well balanced diet. sometimes i eat at maintenance, sometimes at a deficit. somedays i run long distance and other days i don't get off the couch.
    i am sometimes easy with myself. sometimes i kick myself in the butt.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    CFS here (some docs said Fibromyalgia) and hypothyroid. I lost 100 lbs and I get really sick if I overdo it. All I used while losing was a daily walk. I try to get 8,000 steps a day. That has been enough. I am hoping to start lifting some weights but it's really more about how much you eat. I did cut to 1200 calories to lose but my average loss was around 1.5 pounds a week so you could increase your calories and lose slower. Anyway I just wanted to respond so you know it's not hopeless.
  • CharlieICURN
    CharlieICURN Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I suffered pretty severely with endometriosis, adenomyosis, chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia. Even light strength training would put me out of commission because my muscles hurt so bad and I just dealt with really intense systemic inflammation for years.
    I would lose ten pounds here and there with tons of effort but always gained back and always gained back more than I lost.
    Once I found out that I was dealing with endometriosis and adenomyosis and had the appropriate treatment (extensive endo excision with a total hysterectomy/salpingo oophorectomy) the fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue symptoms resolved and I’m on a seriously healthy track now and feel capable of anything.
    I went years not understanding why I seriously felt so bad all of the time but realized that the fatigue and fibromyalgia symptoms were part of a much bigger picture where my inflammation levels were systemically high and my pain receptors were always triggered.
    My rheumatologist explained to me that fibromyalgia can be caused by this overstimulation of pain receptors and if there’s an underlying condition causing it then when that condition is managed it should help improve the fibromyalgia symptoms.

I think what’s important is knowing your limits and knowing what will cause flares and not overdoing things. They are very difficult conditions to manage.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You should be able to lose on 1500, gentle exercise is great. You might be able to gradually increase it over time. Gradual being the key word,
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,303 Member
    Options
    I admire all of you for your strength and perseverance in regaining your health. I can;t imagine how more difficult a weight loss or fitness journey would be when battling fibromyalgia.
  • reflectionofme
    reflectionofme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I also suffer with fibromyalgia. Some days are easier than others but they all have their struggles. One day at a time, one pound after the other.