Rowing machine advice:

Options
Does anyone have advice on getting a rowing machine ? I often find my knee pain prevents me from doing the treadmill so then i just do nothing (bicycle is always worse than jogging for me).

Does anyone have a rowing machine ? Any special features to look for ?

Replies

• 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thank you Brian ... great advice.

No I've never had an MRI or anything on it. It just hurts sometimes and other times it feels totally fine. Not a constant pain situation so I try to press through it when i can.

I'll look into those machines. Going away from the brands/models ... what features did you find the most beneficial ?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    73CL350 wrote: »
    I'll look into those machines. Going away from the brands/models ... what features did you find the most beneficial ?

The most important thing is that they're built like tanks and require a minimal amount of maintenance (keeping the rail clean, lubing the chain etc) their displays are easy to read (the new monitor offers more feedback than my older one but I'm too cheap to upgrade) They have a great selection of workouts built into their monitor ( a variety of distances, interval work etc or you can create and save your own workouts)

Their website and on-line forums are full of great advice on becoming a more proficient rower.

They offer an on-line log system to track your workouts and for the more competitive rowers you can rank your best performances based on age group etc. They also run a number of both individual and team challenges during the year (we have a virtual team here at MFP) and they offer little rewards (t-shirts, pins etc) when you hit certain milestones (1 million metres, 5 million metre etc).

I've often thought that if more treadmill manufacturers supported their used the same way as C2 there would be a lot fewer expensive towel racks in people's basements.

https://concept2.com/indoor-rowers/model-d

https://concept2.com/indoor-rowers/model-e

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I do suggest seeing an orthopedist so that you can have your knee pain diagnosed. Outside of that, I also suggest getting a Concept 2. I don't own one but rather I use the ones at my university's gym (which are impressively poorly maintained - which is to say, they aren't cleaned very well, there's a ton of dust that has collected in the flywheel, and the chains aren't lubed) and the ones at my rowing club (which are very well maintained). If I didn't have such easy access and wasn't hoping to move out of the country in a year, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

They're built like tanks, from what I can tell they have very good customer service, they care about all levels of users (from olympic level rowers to people who use their rowing machines for fitness), and there's something to be said about the fact that they appear to be the gold standard in terms of rowing machines. I also like that it's really easy to see the drag factor and adjust the damper so that I can get the drag factor that I want. This is especially true given that the C2s at my university are so poorly maintained (at that gym I set the damper at around 7 as opposed to around 5 at my rowing club).
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I'd say C2 all the way (Concept 2). I rowed 3 years and then finally bought one two years ago. Love it. Use it nearly every day. There's so many reasons why it's the best but aside from what others have mentioned, the exact calibration and the bells and whistle apps are fun.

For instance, I have a cradle on my rower and an App called ErgData. I can see (in real time) stroke speed, stroke length, watts in real time, rowing speed, calories burned, etc. It also uploads automatically to my C2 workout training log. There are other apps, too, for the C2 that no others are close on. RowPro is a computer software that can be purchased that you can race others around the world in real time (up to 8 rowers I think in 3D). LiveRowing is a new one. You can race one friend on a stored race of nearly any distance. I think that's only on I-Phone for now.

Plus, there are literally dozens of online "clubs" if you want to get more serious. I do monthly competitions with my virtual rowing club. It's like a WOD, but for rowing and you compete with other teams around the world.

Plus, if you get hooked, there's indoor regattas too. Competitions where you pit yourself against others around the area or around the world in competition races. I compete every Winter in regional races and I'm gearing up for Nationals next year. Races are divided into age groups and two weight classes to be a little more fair. Many outdoor rowing clubs have integrated indoor/outdoor programs where you practice on the C2 and they also teach you after you're conditioned enough to row out on the water.

One of the very best things about rowing is the community. I used to run. I found (some) runners to be a bit elitist. You don't get that nearly as much, in my opinion, in the rowing community. I've been helped by rowers that are world class, that offer me free advice on form/training.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I use, and like, the Concept 2 (C2) at my gym Since my gym cost is about $22 per month and the machine, on Amazon, is $945-1,160, I'll continue to use the gym equipment, it costs less.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I use, and like, the Concept 2 (C2) at my gym Since my gym cost is about $22 per month and the machine, on Amazon, is $945-1,160, I'll continue to use the gym equipment, it costs less.

The issue with that is you're dependent on your gym to maintain and even know how to maintain one. I recently was house hunting in AZ and looked at an LA Fitness where one C2 had a seat on backwards! I took the front desk back and showed them. This could really hurt someone's sit bones/tail bone.

The one gym I belonged to asked me how to maintain them. I was happy to assist to ensure that it was running well. It doesn't take much but I'd say 50% of them are broken in gyms. I will say my local LA Fitness fixed their one C2 after several of us complained when the inner workings broke, likely because they never lubed it.

The other issue is that the gym won't take kindly to me hooking up all my various fun apps/software to their rowers.
  • aokoye
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    73CL350 wrote: »
    Does anyone have advice on getting a rowing machine ? I often find my knee pain prevents me from doing the treadmill so then i just do nothing (bicycle is always worse than jogging for me).

Does anyone have a rowing machine ? Any special features to look for ?

I don't know anything about rowing machines, but on the cycling - make sure you have it adjusted properly (in particular that the seat is high enough). (I come across so many people that complain about their knees on the bicycle and it turns out that their seat was set WAY, WAY too low - new cyclists seem to default to putting the seat much too low for easier ground reach)

In the case of Concept 2 rowing machines, the only thing you can adjust, in terms of ergonomics, is the height of your feet on the foot stretcher. The main issue that the needs to be aware of is making sure that a. the drag factor isn't too high and b. their form is correct (or at least nearing correct). There are a number of videos on concept 2's website addressing the correct form.
  • aokoye
    Options

The issue with that is you're dependent on your gym to maintain and even know how to maintain one. I recently was house hunting in AZ and looked at an LA Fitness where one C2 had a seat on backwards! I took the front desk back and showed them. This could really hurt someone's sit bones/tail bone.

The one gym I belonged to asked me how to maintain them. I was happy to assist to ensure that it was running well. It doesn't take much but I'd say 50% of them are broken in gyms. I will say my local LA Fitness fixed their one C2 after several of us complained when the inner workings broke, likely because they never lubed it.

The other issue is that the gym won't take kindly to me hooking up all my various fun apps/software to their rowers.

I so agree with this, all of this. I'm lucky that the gym I go to is pretty good about responding when I tell them something isn't functioning well, but they also just don't do basic maintenance on the C2s. I also suspect that they wouldn't want me to hook up things to their rowing machines and, sadly, none of them have PM5 monitors so I can't do it over bluetooth. That said, I might just buy the android kit and see what they do. I suspect there's an 80% chance that they just wouldn't notice.
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Not much else I can add other than to toss in another vote for the C2. I don't row as much as some but perhaps more than others (hitting 5 million meters soon).

Simple maintenance and the thing will last a LONG time. Built like a tank.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Why would I be attending a gym that does not maintain its equipment? (Mine does a very competent job maintaining their equipment). Even at the lower price ($945) the pay back period for owning is over 3.5 years. And, I don't need to dedicate home space for the machine. But, to each his own. Far be it for me to begrudge another person his/her toys.
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I dont enjoy gyms ... historically I have found if I have to drive there... I just wont. (I went through 4 tanks of gas last YEAR so I'm kind of a shut-in)

A grand was more than i expected though so I'll re evaluate and see.

Thank you all for the great advice.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 thought you would have some helpful thoughts on the subject! :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Concept2 - buy once, cry once.

I bought a cheaper rower and it didn't take long before all the problems/weaknesses made themselves known, and the rower ended up standing against the wall in the corner gathering dust. I use the C2 rower at my gym and there's no question it's the best rower made. If I was going to buy one for home use, I wouldn't buy anything other than a C2.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 thought you would have some helpful thoughts on the subject! :)

Aww, thanks! :flowerforyou:

Others have given some pretty good advice, I think.

I, too, would recommend:

* Trying a machine, preferably a Concept 2, at a gym or something first for a while, if you can find one that's adequately maintained. Rowing isn't fun to everyone (though I don't understand why. ;) ).

* Taking a look at the Concept 2 beginner videos, as you won't get even a remotely decent workout from a rowing machine if your technique is poor, and good technique is not obvious. (Most people in gyms do it wrong, and many trainers teach it wrong.) See https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos

* Buying a Concept 2 (expensive) if you choose to buy a rower, with a Waterrower as a potential (but to me far less preferable) alternative . . . and it's also expensive. I don't really see the point of the Concept 2 model E. I own a model D, but would consider a Dynamic (even more expensive) if I were buying now, because I find it a teensy, tiny, itsy-bitsy bit gentler on my pretty wrecked knees. (Rowing didn't wreck them, BTW.) It's almost never possible to buy an adequate used Concept 2 for enough of a discount to make it worthwhile - they hold their value exceedingly well, so plan to buy new.

* Getting the knee problem diagnosed, and if necessary treated, especially before you take on some new leg-intensive exercise (which is what rowing is; the idea that it's primarily upper body exercise is frankly idiocy). For certain kinds of knee problems, you are burning bridges to future treatments if you continue stressing them. With other kinds of knee problems, you aren't. Be smart; find out which kind you have.

The only real answer to "what kind of features should I look for in a rower?" is "buy a Concept 2", or, if you don't want to compete or interact with other rowers, maybe a Waterrower (which is maybe a little quieter, and looks more like furniture). But I'd get the C2, myself.
  • aokoye
    Options

Why would I be attending a gym that does not maintain its equipment? (Mine does a very competent job maintaining their equipment). Even at the lower price ($945) the pay back period for owning is over 3.5 years. And, I don't need to dedicate home space for the machine. But, to each his own. Far be it for me to begrudge another person his/her toys.

In my situation, I'm paying for the gym it whether I want to or not because it gets taken out of my student fees. There are also other aspects of the gym that I do like, naimly their very well maintained pool (I actually care far more about the maintenance of a pool than I do a rowing machine). There are also some space issues in terms of storage and the whole hopefully moving to another continent in 9ish months.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

The other issue is that the gym won't take kind. ly to me hooking up all my various fun apps/software to their rowers.

At most gyms where I've seen/used one, they're one of the least-used and least-understood machines. People abuse them, because they don't know how to use them. The staff/trainers often don't understand them properly either, and don't do the necessary routine maintenance. I go to a YMCA. The equipment overall is very well maintained. The C2 rowers are OK for the first few years (they're high enough quality to take a lot of abuse), but degrade over time to a deplorable state, and few people seem to realize it because they simply don't understand the machine. If equivalent degradation happened to a more popular/well-understood machine (treadmill, elliptical, etc.) members would be complaining instantly. That's just my experience.

(I own my own, but notice theirs, and even hop on one at the Y now and then to warm up for some other activity.)
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have a C2 rower. Unfortunately, it's just sitting in my living room collecting dust :neutral: I used a rower in the gym when I first started my weight loss journey, bought one so I didn't have to drive to the gym just to use it, then I became interested in competitive powerlifting and rarely use the rower now
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have had bad knees since I was a wee lass. In college, I discovered rowing machines in the gym and fell in love. In fact, I so loved rowing, the women’s crew coach saw me and invited me to join the team. Being someone who was always the first to be cut from a team in tryouts, I was ENORMOUSLY flattered. However, the thought of my *kitten* being inches from the Schuylkill River at 5am caused me to respectfully decline.

In other words, from my experience, you should be fine unless your knees are worse than mine. 😉🚣‍♀️