Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What keeps you motivated?

I am very proud of myself as I've lost 101 pounds. This past Sunday tho I looked in the mirror and was ashamed of myself. Sure I'm smaller. Still at 319 pounds so I still have a way to go. But while looking in the mirror I realized the damage I did to my body. I feel even with more weight loss I'll never look good shirtless.. or at least that's how I feel atm. It was very discouraging. I know that I am benefiting greatly health-wise from losing and I feel a ton better. This post is just about the looks part of it. Just frustrating and I need to get over it.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Oh man, I am so sorry. You have come such a long way and I know that it sucks to have thoughts like this. Truthfully, I try my hardest to keep all of my goals and self-assessments based on health and performance and not on looks. It has been a huge issue for me, one that I didn't expect, but it is what it is. I work around it by mentally sticking my fingers in my ears and going lalalalala I can't hear you when my inner voice points out the parts I see as "ruined." As long as I continue setting goals for myself (I lift so it's often trying to hit X pounds or Y reps or improving my form or learning a new exercise, etc.) I am motivated to meet them and I'm also motivated by doing by best to avoid Type 2 diabetes (lots in my family) and that all mostly keeps my mind off the aesthetics.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Everyone has times they are discouraged. I think half the battle is to take that critical voice in your head and fight back - "I may have flaws like every other human, but I have worked so hard to make a healthier life for myself and I deserve to not give up!"

This is how I survive the journey. I really reflect back on where I was right before I started this change. There is no comparison between where I am now and where I was. I don't want to go back. I deserve to be fit as I can be, and healthy, and to feel physically and mentally well. I'm worth the time and effort it takes.

The other thing is to separate my thoughts from my actions. I don't need to listen to my inner critical dialogue because my actions stay consistent. I keep working out. I keep logging my food. Even on the terrible days where I feel like I might never get where I want to be, I still *do the things*.
  • Grace2188
    Grace2188 Posts: 41 Member
    Oh my goodness, 10lbs is incredible, you should definitely not feel discouraged!!!

If you aren't feeling so good, I usually stay motivated by looking at photos of where I started, then a current one and finally, where I want to end up.
    If this doesn't work, another good thing to try is to go down to the gym and lift what you've lost! Because 101lbs is going to be heavy and you possibly won't even be able to lift it, (I know I couldn't, lol) then you can think 'I used to carry all of that around extra every single day!'

Don't give up, you are doing such an amazing job!
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. Most of the time I'm not liking this and I'm pretty happy about what I have done so far. And I know I will look better the more weight I drop since I still have a ways to go. I don't know what it was about yesterday and today I just kind of woke up in a bad mood or something
  • Grace2188
    Grace2188 Posts: 41 Member
    It totally normal to get like that, I do too! But it's days like this that you need to push that bit further and tell yourself that it is definitely worth it!

Keep going, I would love to hear how you progress!