Back to it after injury!

Options
This year has been such a rollercoaster work out wise! Last year I fell in love with crossfit and running. Then in January was out running and my right leg freaked out on me. I've had a couple different dx's this year, but have again been cleared to work out and sloooooooowly start running again (C25K, here I come....again!), plus PT to get guidance on some of the issues. Anyone else getting back into fitness after an injury?

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    I was in this same situation last year at this time. Three dislocated ribs and severely strained chest and ab muscles. As hard as it is to be patient it really is necessary in order to heal completely and not have set backs.

It took a good two months to get back to cardio and I put off getting back into lifting and my daily plank challenge for longer than I should, but now I'm in better shape cardio-wise and lifting heavier than I was prior to injury.

Being injured and immobile definitely gave me a new appreciation for what my body can do and I'm grateful every day. Hope things go smoothly for you and your PT is helpful!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MtnMamaK wrote: »
    This year has been such a rollercoaster work out wise! Last year I fell in love with crossfit and running. Then in January was out running and my right leg freaked out on me. I've had a couple different dx's this year, but have again been cleared to work out and sloooooooowly start running again (C25K, here I come....again!), plus PT to get guidance on some of the issues. Anyone else getting back into fitness after an injury?

What was your injury diagnosed as?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    Yup, happens somewhat frequently for me (my chosen sport isn't all that condusive to an injury free lifestyle), but the worst was in late 2016 when I badly broke my leg on a dirt bike - tib/fib "pilon" fracture. 2017 was a nightmare year, I ended up with a total of 4 surgeries on the leg.

Finally was to a point where I was up to more than just walking being a challenge, and back to the gym almost exactly one year ago.

Still have issues with that leg - I will for the rest of my life, the ankle will never be "right" but I've slowly but surely been able to return to "most" things with some modifications.

Running, however, will never ever happen for me again. I CAN do a light jog, but I don't have the ROM in my ankle to handle running, and never will. I'm just happy I can do most things, plenty of other "piloneers" who aren't as fortunate.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I didn't have good insurance for a number of years so I let my body go. I hadn't been to the chiropractor in 4 years and I paid the price. I am an ultra runner and last year was a debacle. I was DNFing races and when I did finish them, they were painful and ugly.

I attempted a 100 miler in September and could only hobble 28 miles. I had just started seeing a chiropractor at that time. He found that my hips were out of alignment which was causing my pelvis to tip forward. I had super tight and painful IT Bands. It was also discovered that I also have arthritis in my neck and lower spine. The arthritis in the spine was starting to cause really painful sciatica issues. I was really starting to fall apart.

I am on a 3 month re-building plan and am just starting the second month. I am doing and feeling much better. I now have much more range of motion in my neck. I tried running 3 miles on Sunday. I was having some pain, deep, in my right butt cheek. I knew this wasn't sciatica and thought, perhaps it was periformis. I saw the doctor yesterday and he confirmed the periformis diagnosis. They worked on me and that's feeling much better.

Hoping to get things working better throughout the winter months so that the 2019 racing season is MUCH better!! It couldn't be much worse!!

Besides the 3 miles on Sunday, I haven't run in about a month and a half. Hoping to get more miles in soon!!

Good luck to you!! :)