When to stretch?

Options
I know that part of good health includes stretching and I'd like to increase my flexibility. However, I'm a bit confused about when I should really be doing some good stretches. I know you should do some stretching post-work out, maybe a little before to warm up (not enough to be very limber). But I've also heard that you shouldn't stretch a sore muscle...so after I do weight training, when do I stretch? The next day when it's not yet super sore?

A little background: Right now I do weights on Tues & Thurs with a personal trainer, which is usually just weights and alternating upper and lower body. I'd like to try to add in Saturday or Sunday into my normal schedule, so the weekend isn't guaranteed/regular. I'm also setting up to try P90X, I know that P90X does have some yoga and other stuff in the system.

So, I'd like any assistance you guys can offer in setting me straight on the whole stretching deal.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    no one has ever told me not to stretch a sore muscle - inface the opposite- your muscle is sore cause its rebuilding and other chemical reactions - when streching the muscle it helps it to grow and release those chemicals that are making it hurt int he first place. i've always been told to strech Often and always
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've had this same question and I kinda just go with how I feel at the time because I always hear opposite viewpoints. I've heard you should only strech before, only after, both times...oy. I've heard that you shouldn't stretch a sore muscle on the chance that you could cause further damage, but I've also heard like Sassy said. I kinda think this is one of those issues that is mostly disputed in general. I just stick to doing light stretching if I feel a little stiff.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I always stretch before working out, whether cardio or weights. I don't know exactly whats "right" but I definately notice a difference in my endurance and the amount of weight I can lift if I stretch beforehand.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I think that you might be confusing sore with strained muscles. Sore would be the minor ache you would feel after a work out. Strained would be when you have damaged the muscle and there is pain when pressure is applied to it. It's always best to stretch before/after a workout if there wasn't a pull or strained muscle. Stretching helps reduce the chance of this happening.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    If PX90 is like Insanity than you will be stretching during the warm up and for the cool down.
    (I've been hearing they are just about the same).

During a warm up you should get your body warmed up before stretching this way you will be able to stretch a little deeper
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    oh and when I have sore muscles I just have to stretch it out & keep moving or else the soreness gets worse! lol
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    P90 has you doing a good warmup before and after the workload. Also with the P90 you have the xstretch video which could be used on top of whatever routine you are doing. I read once that to maintain your current flexibility you hold the stretch up to 15 seconds, anything beyond that helps increase your flexibility.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The general consensus is that stretching should take place when muscles are warm. You should not stretch first thing when starting a workout.

Most research shows that a WARM UP is important, but, pre-exercise, it should be a *dynamic* warmup--movements that are lower in intensity and amplitude, but similar to those movements you will perform in your workout. The warmup need not include stretching.

For a higher-intensity or performance workout (e.g. 5K run), the warmup would be a little more elaborate: Dynamic warmup or light jogging, static stretching, more intense dynamic warmup (tempo strides for 70-100 meters).

As far as stretching a "sore" muscle, it really depends on the condition. Muscles sore from a regular workout can (and probably should) be stretched, injuries such as a torn calf muscle should NOT be stretched--for other injuries, it depends.
    There is no one simple answer.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I think the person who was telling me about the sore muscle stretching misphrased it, or misinterpreted what I had said in our discussion. Thanks for putting me back in line! :)

I'll stick to a 5minute cardio warmup (like walking or easy elliptical) and just stretch post workout, then as needed while the muscle rebuilds from the weight lifting. Toss in some of the stretching set from the P90X stuff to supplement, as well.

Thanks for the info everyone!