Random question for Depo Provera users

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
If you've used Depo, when did you stop getting your period (if you did)?

The info I can find about this is 39% stop getting periods after 6 months of use. 57% stop after 1 year of use. Nothing about the first 6 months/first 2 shots. Asking because my GP wants me to stop having periods since she's positive my low iron is because I have a working uterus.

Replies

• Wiedzma_Agata
    Wiedzma_Agata Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm on depo and yeah I'm periods stopped completely, but so did my libido. I have actually booked a gp appointment to discuss coil, because my absolute lack of appetite for sex is taking its toll on my marriage now...
    Apparently the Mirena coil can stop you having periods too...
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I've been on depo for well over 15 years. My periods stopped, but my libido never did which was good. Anyway, my regular, once a month periods went away after the first few months, but then I had this very low level bleeding that lasted every day for a year. It was nothing major. It was like the very last day of your period...but every day for a year. That was my experience. Once that was over....nothing.

Just be advised. After two years on Depo, it has the potential of giving you osteoporosis.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm on depo for 8 years now. I stopped having a period 9 months after the shot but unfortunately I bled that entire time. Good luck
  • zyxst
    Options
    I've been on depo for well over 15 years. My periods stopped, but my libido never did which was good. Anyway, my regular, once a month periods went away after the first few months, but then I had this very low level bleeding that lasted every day for a year. It was nothing major. It was like the very last day of your period...but every day for a year. That was my experience. Once that was over....nothing.

Just be advised. After two years on Depo, it has the potential of giving you osteoporosis.

I didn't plan on being on Depo at all. I was given 3 choices - pill, shot, IUD - and I asked for the pill, but the gyno refused because I would still have periods. Mostly PO'ed that I was lied to by my gyno. I have 1 more shot to go through, so pretty much stuck with Depo until March/April 2019.

I don't really care about not having or being interested in sex. Haven't been for almost 6 years.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i was on depo for 5 years in college and earlyyears in the navy - mine stopped within 2 months...unfortunately, the Navy stopped administering it - so they made me try the pill and after several bad experiences, i switched to Mirena - been on it for 9 years now (2 IUD's) and will be getting my third one next year - haven't had a period in close to that time
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I didn't plan on being on Depo at all. I was given 3 choices - pill, shot, IUD - and I asked for the pill, but the gyno refused because I would still have periods. Mostly PO'ed that I was lied to by my gyno. I have 1 more shot to go through, so pretty much stuck with Depo until March/April 2019.

I don't really care about not having or being interested in sex. Haven't been for almost 6 years.

I take the pill continuously and don't have a period. Is this an option for you?
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Misiolinka wrote: »
    I'm on depo and yeah I'm periods stopped completely, but so did my libido. I have actually booked a gp appointment to discuss coil, because my absolute lack of appetite for sex is taking its toll on my marriage now...
    Apparently the Mirena coil can stop you having periods too...

Had the same issue with no libido, unfortunately.
  • zyxst
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »

I take the pill continuously and don't have a period. Is this an option for you?

No. The gyno refused to prescribe the pill because I would still have periods. I wanted it because I've used it before and had no side effects.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

No. The gyno refused to prescribe the pill because I would still have periods. I wanted it because I've used it before and had no side effects.

ummm that makes no medical sense...can you get a referral for another doctor
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I didn't have mine very long but it actually made me have a 7 week long period. Switched as soon as possible to the Nuva Ring. Also made my libido nonexistent. And then I gained 20+lb. So really it was a terrible experience for me. I've heard of the ring, the pill, etc all being able to be taken consistently to skip periods but don't do it myself. I do know that I can manipulate when it comes, though, like any other pill/ring.
  • zyxst
    Options

No.
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

No.

Why can't you get a second opnion? it is your body and your right to know more about it and what they are asking you to do. I agree this does not make any sense medically. You are a woman, you get your period. PERIOD. It's life/nature. Yes, most women are anemic/low iron when they get their periods, I am one of them. I up my spinach/kale and other Iron rich foods during this time. I myself would get a second opinion on it, unless there is more to the story or why.

Is it so dangerously low, that is the reason they want to stop them all together? If that is case, why not recommend the Mirena? I do understand some doctor's prefer you to have at least one child before having this, but if it is a necessity that you not get your period, why not that route?

Good luck in this!
  • zyxst
    Options

No.

Why can't you get a second opnion? it is your body and your right to know more about it and what they are asking you to do. I agree this does not make any sense medically. You are a woman, you get your period. PERIOD. It's life/nature. Yes, most women are anemic/low iron when they get their periods, I am one of them. I up my spinach/kale and other Iron rich foods during this time. I myself would get a second opinion on it, unless there is more to the story or why.

Is it so dangerously low, that is the reason they want to stop them all together? If that is case, why not recommend the Mirena? I do understand some doctor's prefer you to have at least one child before having this, but if it is a necessity that you not get your period, why not that route?

Good luck in this!

Doctors are not readily available in Newfoundland, even for referrals. I got extremely lucky to see the gyno within 2 weeks rather than waiting months which is the norm here. When what I tell my GP is pretty well ignored, there's not a point to ask for someone else.

I am not anemic. I had low iron with no symptoms. I went to my GP to talk about getting medication for my depression and she ordered blood work. That's when I learned I had low iron. Still had nothing to do with the depression and serious symptoms I had/am having. When an iron-rich diet (getting at least 100% RDA iron) and daily iron pills (150 mg) brought me from 13 to 19, I was ordered to have iron shots which turned into infusions (200 mg iron once a week for 5 weeks). My iron RDA was upped to 150%. GP referred me to a gyno to get on birth control.

Oct 16, 2018, I saw the gyno for the first time. Did the usual info telling (no exam so weird). I was given the choices of the pill, the shot, and the IUD. I refused the IUD for personal reasons due to a traumatic relationship. I asked for the pill as I've had it before with no problems. The gyno said she's prescribe me 2 doses of the shot because "you won't get your period" and since my period is what they believe was causing my low iron, not having a period would solve the problem. I'm sitting here on my 7th day of my period.

If I were male, I'd be having tests done up the ying-yang. As I said, I had no symptoms of low iron. The only blood loss I have is my period. I've had it for 35 years with no low iron and within the last 10 months, I've got low iron. Yes, I know that's a big pointer to being peri-menopausal.

Today, I called about my recent blood work. The receptionist said the results were "fine". I'm guessing that means "normal".

Sadly, I still have 9 weeks of this stupid progesterone in my system before I can beg to not have the second shot.

Is there more info you want? I can open my diary. I can PM you the details of why I refuse to get an IUD because saying on here would probably get me a strike or whatever MFP does to the naughty kids these days.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    many providers seem to be moving away from depo provera in general - i don't know if its from long term side-effects...there is essure - which is injected in your arm but i believe its also been pulled off the market.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

If you don't take the blanks at the end of the month, you don't get your period. There's one marketed now that you only get 4 periods a year because you just don't take blanks for 2 out of every 3 months. Sorry your doctor led you wrong! Maybe you could print out some articles or opinions on taking the pill continuously and bring them with you next time? I think the 4 periods a year pill is called Seasonale or something like that.
  • YvetteK2015
    Options
    many providers seem to be moving away from depo provera in general - i don't know if its from long term side-effects...there is essure - which is injected in your arm but i believe its also been pulled off the market.

Essure is what was implanted into your fallopain tubes to scar them. That has been taken off the market. The one that was implanted in your arm was inplanon and nexplanon.
  • zyxst
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

If you don't take the blanks at the end of the month, you don't get your period. There's one marketed now that you only get 4 periods a year because you just don't take blanks for 2 out of every 3 months. Sorry your doctor led you wrong! Maybe you could print out some articles or opinions on taking the pill continuously and bring them with you next time? I think the 4 periods a year pill is called Seasonale or something like that.

I could, but I would still have to wait out the shot before taking the pill. I'm just fed up with doctors only focusing on my symptoms (low iron) and not bothering to treat the problem (depression and peri-menopause).

I apologize to anyone else reading this hoping to get info about periods while on Depo. It's devolved in typical MFP manner.
  • YvetteK2015
    Options

The info I can find about this is 39% stop getting periods after 6 months of use. 57% stop after 1 year of use. Nothing about the first 6 months/first 2 shots. Asking because my GP wants me to stop having periods since she's positive my low iron is because I have a working uterus.

Sorry if your OP got off topic. Depo works by eventually completely stopping ovulation altogether. So that doesn't happen with the first shot. I know people for whom all bleeding stopped between the 2nd and 4th shot.

I also know many of the newer IUDs are pretty small and don't have the side effects of the Depo Shot, but also stop your period around the 6 month mark.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I used to use it back in the day and stopped menstruating after the first shot (not that I was regular before that). No periods for three years and then it didn't stop for 3 months. I also suffered multiple fractures in that time. I stopped it and it took me another 2 years to get my period back. I seriously regret ever getting on it.
  • zyxst
    Options

Sorry if your OP got off topic. Depo works by eventually completely stopping ovulation altogether. So that doesn't happen with the first shot. I know people for whom all bleeding stopped between the 2nd and 4th shot.

I also know many of the newer IUDs are pretty small and don't have the side effects of the Depo Shot, but also stop your period around the 6 month mark.

I don't plan on getting more than 2 shots and if I can not get the second shot, all the better.

Looks as though 20% is a good guesstimate for women not getting their periods within the first 6 months/2 shots of Depo.