Question for Daily walkers

Hi. I've been walking 2-3 miles 6-7x a week for the past 3 months now. I bought a good pair of Nike Air Max shoes a couple weeks after I started walking and loved them. But for the past week my feet have been hurting horribly. I think I've worn my shoes out already. How long should good shoes last when I walk nearly everyday?? I've only had these shoes nearly 3 months now.

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    ~500 miles? Or is that just for running?

So say 2.5 miles 6X per week for 12 weeks is 180 miles.

Yeah, they shouldn't be worn out by then. Might be the wrong shoes for your gait. Go to a good running store and have someone watch you walk around or on a treadmill.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    They just might not be the right shoes for you. It does take some trial and error.

I rotate through several pairs of walking shoes so that I wear the same pair every 3 or 4 days. I walk 7 - 8 miles about 4 x per week. I've found Asics and Under Armour work well for me but might not be right for you.

Make sure you get shoes specifically for walking. Early on I made the mistake of wearing running shoes but they are not good for walking long distances.
  • AvandHK
    AvandHK Posts: 36 Member
    Just make sure they fit right and the when your foot hurts that just means it’s getting stronger believe it or not it’s a thing it happened to me too but nowadays it almost never happens so it’ll be ok that’s my guess
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Sketchers for walking for me, super comfy and light
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    I agree maybe just not the right shoes for you. I walk my dog two hours everyday in a pair of shoes that are probably close to 10 years old, they’re way over used but my feet never hurt... maybe you have orthopedic issues? Are you flat footed or have a high arch? Worth trying an insole maybe too.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Try going to a running shoe store - many of them will analyze your feet for you and get you into a pair that’s right for you and won’t cause pain.

Your pair shouldn’t be worn out yet so I don’t think that’s the issue.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    It's possible that you need a rest day. If you're walking every day, you may just be overdoing it for your body.

It could also be that your shoes don't fit properly or are not ideal for walking longer distances. I have very wide feet and tend to get a specific pain in the widest part of my foot when I increase my running or walking mileage, even in wider shoes. In addition to my dedicated running shoes, I walk longer distances in a shoe designed specifically for walking (the Brooks Addiction Walker, in case anyone's wondering).

It's a good idea to visit a running store, or a podiatrist or orthopedic doctor if the pain continues.
    AvandHK wrote: »
    Just make sure they fit right and the when your foot hurts that just means it’s getting stronger believe it or not it’s a thing it happened to me too but nowadays it almost never happens so it’ll be ok that’s my guess

No, pain does not necessarily mean that you are getting stronger. Some types of discomfort, such as DOMS, are normal when exercising, but others are not. It can be hard to tell the difference between pain that can be worked through and pain that should be investigated, especially for people new to exercising. Don't risk an injury. Take pain seriously.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    I bought my Nike a few years ago and they still hold up fine. Now to be fair I wasn't using them daily until the last year, and the year before that a few times a week, but they're still in really good condition. Were you walking at all before? Or were you sedentary and jumped into walking 5-6x/week? Have you considered it to be plantar fasciitis? That happened to me a few years ago and it was VERY painful to walk. Doc gave me naproxen, insoles, and new shoes until I was healed up.
  • carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    Also what type of surface are you walking on. All concrete, dirt, track, etc? May want to switch it up. I walk 10k steps daily, even on Sunday. I take a break from the gym on Sundays and Tuesdays. My shoes are Brooks and they work great for my wide foot. I walk in my subdivision mostly which is mostly concrete.

Hope you find relief. Foot pain is no fun!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    How much do you weigh? Extreme overweight can cause foot pain, especially in the wrong shoes or too high frequency.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Gel inserts can be nice additions.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    I can get 4 months out of sneakers (I walk anywhere from 25-35 miles a week). Try a new pair & see what happens.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 466 Member
    I rotate my shoes between good city shoes that a great footbed that walk well (Ecco). I have my running shoes (3 pairs -Mizuno) and for longer walks I use my grade A Meindl walking shoes.
    From what I understand both variation and rest is important