I shrank my goal

Options
mtdb8
mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
edited November 2018 in Getting Started
So I'm still new to this, second week. And I've gone over my calorie goal every day. My goal settings were 1lb a week. Not happening.

So I changed it to 1/2lb a week. I'm going to loose 100lbs but I'm in no real rush. If I could loose 12 pounds a year instead of gain 12lb a year, then by my 50th birthday I'd weigh 150lb my goal weight.

That would be perfect.

I changed the goal because I don't want to trian myself to consistantly go over goals.

Replies

• bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If that's what works for you, then do it. As long as you trend the right way, that's what matters the most.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    good job. slow and steady.

you may find as you get used to this level of calories and tweak how you eat (ex: i like volume so eat volutemetric style, some need more fat to feel saciated, ect.) and get used to a lower calorie goal you may later on be ok to go back to 1lb/week but you also don't even need to do that!
  • LynzesLosingIt
    LynzesLosingIt Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others above have said. Do what works for you. Pushing yourself too hard too fast is a great way to give up just as fast. Slow progress is still progress! Good luck
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you! Whatever is sustainable is what’s best 🙂
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    mtdb8 wrote: »
    hroderick wrote: »
    if you need to go from 250 to 150, why drag it out for more than 2 years? You will be healthier and feel better and may live longer and have more confidence and have better kitten more often after you reach 75% of your goal.

At 250 it should be easy to lose 1.5 per week without being hungry or adding exercise. You are smart to plan to make long term changes, but maybe fear of failure is keeping you from getting aggressive.

You could be right. But I'm not looking for a diet, I'm looking for a real lifestyle change. Loosing 100lb in 2 years sounds like something I cant possibly stick with for the rest of my life. I'd rather learn how to eat for health than weight loss and that takes time.

Well said!!

So many people are in such a rush to get to the finish line that they end up stumbling along the way and end up not even finishing at all.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    mtdb8 wrote: »
    hroderick wrote: »
    if you need to go from 250 to 150, why drag it out for more than 2 years? You will be healthier and feel better and may live longer and have more confidence and have better kitten more often after you reach 75% of your goal.

At 250 it should be easy to lose 1.5 per week without being hungry or adding exercise. You are smart to plan to make long term changes, but maybe fear of failure is keeping you from getting aggressive.

You could be right. But I'm not looking for a diet, I'm looking for a real lifestyle change. Loosing 100lb in 2 years sounds like something I cant possibly stick with for the rest of my life. I'd rather learn how to eat for health than weight loss and that takes time.

I can tell your head and heart are on track for a great life. I too seek a healthy strong body and happy life instead of a number on a scale. Learning to log what you eat accurately and committing to do so will give you so much insight to figure what steps to take. I attribute commitment to logging and planning to my success. MFP is great for logging. For planning, I recommend a free trial of platejoy.com. Using it has done a major upgrade to what I eat, how I prepare it, and how I shop.

As for fear of failure, I won't fail long term because I won't quit. Neither will you.
  • marysabetournay
    marysabetournay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    took me 1 year to lose 30lbs, slow but steady is what did it for me
  • DeborahKilpatrick
    DeborahKilpatrick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds a great approach, if this is something you can stick at and be successful, go for it! I've just come back to mfp after a couple of failed attempts when I set it to 1 or 2 lb a week and couldn't stick to it. I've now also set mine to 0.5 a week and I feel in control of what I'm eating for the first time in ages but not deprived. I am aware I need to be careful of logging properly with such a small deficit. I was totally overeating before though so it's still a lot less than I was having! Good luck, sounds like this is going to work for you
  • eccentricplaza
    eccentricplaza Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had to reduce my goal. I am an emotional eater and I could stick to my goal reasonably well, but on the days I went over it compounded into a bigger problem the next day because I felt like a failure.

Making great progress still, and much happier :)

No shame in it. Keep up the great work!