Gotta get my mojo back

Options
I joined MFP in the start of 2014 and managed to lose 30 pounds over the course of two years. It was slow, but I wasn't being super strict and I definitely wasn't complaining. I then started a job-stress slide that really accelerated this year. At this point, I have gained back 15 pounds with spikes closer to 20. No good.

I have a new job now and MUCH less stress, so I am no longer eating my feelings which is of course a great start. But this weight ain't going nowhere unless I get back on the MFP train. And I find that I am struggling to get back into that mindset.

FWIW, I am 41 with PCOS and hypothyroidism. I'm not into restriction diets. I prefer to focus on good nutrition with some treats in moderation.

Tips? Encouragement? New friends?

Replies

• KJfromCali
    KJfromCali Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Heyyy!!! I was RIGHT there with you. I lost over 30 with MFP... then I regained it PLUS an additional 35 pounds. It has taken two years to get back on track. The difference is support and accountability coupled with planning. Who have you told about your plan to get and stay on track? Someone who will hold you accountable? For me it’s a roommate. I literally write down my goals on our shared bathroom mirror.
  • RiverInEgypt
    RiverInEgypt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hear you for sure! Seem to have lost the plot a bit. Life has not been at its best and I've disappeared up my own tailpipe clutching handfuls of The Wrong Foods (For Me), which has lead to an increase that doesn't want to shift.

I'll send you an invite. See if we can encourage each other back along the right path.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    “I prefer to focus on good nutrition with some treats in moderation.”

I like it. Calorie counting works. But the eating austerity plan generally does not.

I’m maintaining now, but when losing I liked planning a week at a time. That gave me higher cal days and lower cal days.

Calculate to eat at a modest deficit. If you can average 200-250 calories below maintenance per day, you can lose a couple pounds per month.

If you can be happy living like that, the only other thing you need is the passage of time. Nothing can stop you. It’s the laws of physics.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    KJfromCali wrote: »
    Heyyy!!! I was RIGHT there with you. I lost over 30 with MFP... then I regained it PLUS an additional 35 pounds. It has taken two years to get back on track. The difference is support and accountability coupled with planning. Who have you told about your plan to get and stay on track? Someone who will hold you accountable? For me it’s a roommate. I literally write down my goals on our shared bathroom mirror.

I talk about it with my husband, but we work different shifts, so he's not around to smack the pizza out of my hand or carry me to the gym when I get a bad case of the I-don't-wannas. But I like the idea of posting a goal somewhere! I have a light-up marquee thingy I could use to have that in my face.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    “I prefer to focus on good nutrition with some treats in moderation.”

I like it. Calorie counting works. But the eating austerity plan generally does not.

I’m maintaining now, but when losing I liked planning a week at a time. That gave me higher cal days and lower cal days.

Calculate to eat at a modest deficit. If you can average 200-250 calories below maintenance per day, you can lose a couple pounds per month.

If you can be happy living like that, the only other thing you need is the passage of time. Nothing can stop you. It’s the laws of physics.

This is really exactly what I need to hear. Facts is facts. Calorie deficit = weight loss. My problem is I slipped back into making it emotional when I was eating my feelings all the time.
  • mihalickjoanne
    mihalickjoanne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm not into restriction diets. I prefer to focus on good nutrition with some treats in moderation.

Tips? Encouragement? New friends?[/quote]

I am 100% agreeing with you. I lost 25 pounds by counting calories and tracking every bite. I slacked off and the weight creeps up slowly. So back to counting and tracking. I enjoy reasonale treat now and then--not denial. I have gained just 3 pounds so I'm recommitting to the plan.