Timing of Supplements

Options
I am currently taking several supplements. Krill oil, magnesium, calcium + vitamin D, collagen, and a nighttime probiotic. I also use a green superfood powder to add to my protein shakes. I just always wonder, does it matter when I take the supplements? Does my body know how to separate them inside and make sure they do and go where they need to? Or is it best to space them out and take them individually to make sure my body processes them properly?

Replies

• go52182
    go52182 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Oh and I try to drink some matcha tea everyday. But I worry about the timing!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is to space out calcium & magnesium from one another (chelation/competition for absorption; they also have antacid like effects).

Keep fat soluble vitamins together (Vit A, D, E, K) with food containing fat (krill oil, fish oil okay to do simultaneously).

Probiotics - space 2+ hours from antibiotics
    Antacids - space other supplements about 4 hours after
    Protein - post workout "anabolic window"/priming of GLUT-4 is overkill/trivial (would not worry about, just eat when you are hungry next)

Don't know about green superfoods - absorption of drugs/supplements are ingredient dependent (look through the label)

More so about optimizing absorption
  • go52182
    Options
    Yes, I definitely want to optimize absorption. Thank you! I appreciate the information! I've already been spacing all of these out though I was taking the magnesium and the calcium + vitamin D at that same time, after lunch. :# I will change up a few things going forward.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is to space out calcium & magnesium from one another (chelation/competition for absorption; they also have antacid like effects).

Keep fat soluble vitamins together (Vit A, D, E, K) with food containing fat (krill oil, fish oil okay to do simultaneously).

Protein - post workout "anabolic window"/priming of GLUT-4 is overkill/trivial (would not worry about, just eat when you are hungry next)

Don't know about green superfoods - absorption of drugs/supplements are ingredient dependent (look through the label)

Also, take anything containing iron at a different time than any supplement or food containing calcium.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options

earlnabby wrote: »
    Also, take anything containing iron at a different time than any supplement or food containing calcium.

Good tips!

And Vitamin C helps with iron absorption.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Good question op this is just handy to know
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Good tips on many of the supplements so far.

As far as "green superfoods", the timing is completely irrelevant because there's no such thing as a "superfood", other than in advertising/marketing woo: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/superfoods/
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    When I was put on several new meds/supplements a couple of years ago I entered everything into a Drug interaction checker. I was prescribed high potency iron, prilosec, and hydrochlorothiazide (bad anemia from stomach erosion that caused bleeding plus edema). It really helped me plan my day as to what I should take when. It also shows the interactions with food (like I should have my iron with a meal but not one that includes dairy because of the calcium). You can enter all supplements and medications, both OTC and prescription. Most pharmacies have one on their website too.

I used the one at WebMD https://www.webmd.com/interaction-checker/default.htm
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Taking magnesium at night helps with sleep. Vitamin D can also help with sleep, but needs to be taken in the morning.
  • go52182
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    As far as "green superfoods", the timing is completely irrelevant because there's no such thing as a "superfood", other than in advertising/marketing woo: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/superfoods/

I don't expect it do anything fantastic for me. It has spinach and kale and these other fancy roots. I just know it helps give me more servings of vegetables and that's good for me! I was just trying to think of all the extra stuff I take throughout the day. I forgot to mention creatine and the protein supplements!

• go52182
    Options
    I appreciate all the replies. I already have been spacing them out. I just wanted to ask if perhaps I'm overthinking it and it's not necessary to space them out. I know now I definitely should keep doing what I am doing. :smile: