How much of my exercise calories do I eat?

Options
I've been searching for an answer but haven't found a definite answer. So MFP recommends to eat 1200 net calories per day. Say I burn 300 calories. My question is do I eat all those 300 calories or 3/4 or 1/2? Plz halp

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    To start with how aggressive are your goals as 1200 calories is not a lot for the average person? It is normally the amount needed for weight loss for someone who is shorter than average who doesn't have much to lose and those that are on the more mature side of life. If you have selected 2 pounds a week to lose it is too aggressive and can lead to some long-term problems. It can also make it much harder to stick with your calorie deficit because your body will fight you every step of the way against this loss. Hence the binge, restrict cycle that many become trapped in. Slow and steady wins the race for long-term success.

Now to answer your question. Many machines and apps (including MFP) overestimate the calories burned with exercise. This is why eating back 1/2 to 2/3 is often recommended. The best thing to do is to start with eating back 1/2 for a month at least (you want at least one period cycle to determine average weight loss) and if you are losing faster than predicted then increase it to 2/3. If you are really lucky you may even be able to increase this further the following months
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world, all of them. All bodies are different, so it takes experimentation. I tend to eat most if not all of them and still lose.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to this game, and am experimenting with anticipating my calorie burn and eating in advance.
    My preference is not to eat much after work, but that’s my gym time, so it’s a compromise i’m Trying to see how it works. Sometimes i still need a protein bar to feel nourished for the day, but mostly an apple sufffices for a post workout refresher.

About the 1200 calories, i started there also, and while i lost 2lbs a week on average, after 2 months i chose to slow it down because of all I have read here and otherwhere about minimum requirements for healthy outcomes. I’m working my way up to 1800-ish as my maintenance level, and currently at 1500 a day.

There isn’t any one answer that works for anyone all the time; I find it more useful to evaluate my progress (or lack of) over a few weeks or month at a time.

Good luck to you and good fitness to us all!
    Amyfb
  • SpyLuna
    SpyLuna Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    MFP set me at 1290 cals to lose 1.5 a week and I have 80 to lose (obese) and I set it to active because I work out 5 times a week now. I'm 5'1 so I am no where near "average". I don't eat my exercise calories back because everywhere I read it says most of the time those are overestimated and being so short and allotted so few calories to begin with eating even a mere hundred or two over would ruin any progress I'm making. So if you're short and on 1200 I'd say no don't eat them but if you're tall and on 1200 you could get away with a couple extra hundred on days you work out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Hana_TF22 wrote: »
    I've been searching for an answer but haven't found a definite answer. So MFP recommends to eat 1200 net calories per day. Say I burn 300 calories. My question is do I eat all those 300 calories or 3/4 or 1/2? Plz halp

MFP only recommends 1200 calories per day if a woman chooses the most aggressively rate of loss possible. Are you sure 2 pounds a week is appropriate for you? How tall are you?

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hana_TF22 wrote: »

MFP only recommends 1200 calories per day if a woman chooses the most aggressively rate of loss possible. Are you sure 2 pounds a week is appropriate for you? How tall are you?

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

I think this should be rephrased to “if you choose a goal that is to aggressive for what you have to lose and your activity level”.

I say this, because I get 1200 if I set mine to Sedentary and 1lb per week loss.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    All of your actual exercise calories - which may not be the same as all of your estimated calories.
    That's where the eat a proportion recommendations come from but personally I think that's a poor choice compared to making reasonable estimates appropriate to your exercise routine in the first place.

Start with 100% - especially as you are on such low calories already.
    If you don't get the expected results than look at both your food logging (by far the most significant factor) and exercise logging accuracy.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    I was set at 1200 calories by MFP. This is way too little given the amount I exercise. So, I eat back exercise calories and try to keep my "net" calories around 1000 (that usually means I am eating 1400 to 1500 calories). So far, after 3 months, I fell good, have lots of energy and am lising at a decent rate.