Weight Loss Stories? Without Keto?

Options
I just really want to eat a balance of healthy macros without any extremes. I need to know this is possible...I’m so tired of hearing about Keto!

Replies

• mikea2g
    mikea2g Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 44 pounds in the last 106 days. I eat lowish carb, but not Keto. I feel low carb helps me make healthier food choices. Basically lots of veggies, little fruit and lots of yummy protein and healthy fats. Macros are usually 35 + protein / 35 + fat / 25- 30 carb

My main focus is calorie deficit with healthy diet (for me). I’m 6’4”, started at 309, currently at 265 with a goal of 225. I’m try to exercise intensely (weight lifting / interval cardio) at least 4 times per week and shoot for approximately 2000 calories per day (which puts me with a good 1000+ deficit depending on my exercise)

Try to make food choices that are healthy and right for you. Logging everything using a scale is eye opening at first and addicting once you get going. Also the only way to get accurate calorie numbers. I’m a big fan of the CICO method. Some people claim they can eat literally whatever food me they want as long as they stay within their calorie goal. Eat less, move more, LOG EVERYTHING! :)
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 17 lbs since the start of September. No keto, no low-carb. It’s absolutely not necessary to lose weight. I still eat all the foods I enjoy, I just eat them in moderation and fit them into my calorie goal. Weight loss doesn’t have to be complicated 🙂
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    From ~330 to ~210 (even got under 200 at one point). Nothing but counting. Eating less and moving more. Sure I'm eating better than I was with more veggies and less fast food, but no you don't need to go Keto to lose weight and as I've picked up running as a hobby, I would not want to try that on Keto.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I lost 95 lbs in a year and a half eating less and moving more. I did not eliminate any food group. Weighing and measuring is crucial, though. When I deprive myself I tend to binge and...life’s to short to live without “goodies” and 🍷 !!!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, plenty of people lost weight before Keto became a thing in the last year :). I am down almost 15 pounds already from calorie counting, making better food choices, and exercise.

You can do it too!
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm doing calorie based and am down almost 300 lbs... 68 so far this year, and most the rest in the prior year and a half.

There are days it's hard. I'll want a snack, but it would reduce the speed of weight loss. Won't compromise.

Keto from what I've seen is not much different than Atkins - i.e. low carb. It was designed for epileptic patients (and other medical conditions), and not necessarily for weight loss. I'm not saying it works or not, but I do know that all my friends who diligently followed low-carb plans never saw much if any success long term. I know many here say otherwise. I'm just relaying my own experience.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    107 lbs down. I started off just eating within calories and restricting homemade desserts to 200 calories or fewer. Over time, I've started focusing on hitting protein and iron goals. I'd say my snacks have gotten more nutrient-dense, too. Since I'm trying to hit protein, I tend to snack on roasted chickpeas and pea protein "chips" more often than veggie straws, pop chips, and other things that are basically "carbs and salt with maybe a trace of fiber". To be clear, I don't low-carb. Not even close; I often go slightly over the 50% default target. (I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian. There are carbs in most of my proteins). But that's why I've cut back a bit on high-carb/no-protein snacks. With the exception of one cereal I like to snack on dry because 30 grams of it gives me 30% of my iron RDA. Oh and Fiber One bars, because I don't consciously track fiber so a little extra's probably good and besides if I can get a 90-calorie brownie, why not?

I also take long walks, ran my first 5K this summer and strength train with dumbbells.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't it be possible? Weight management is about calories. Keto works the same way any other diet plan works...calorie deficit. If you eat in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight regardless of what your macros are or what plan you use.
  • bonniebug50
    bonniebug50 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your stories and encouragement are so helpful, and inspirational...I am so grateful for those of you who took your time to reply! Thank you.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs, maintained and then ran couple bulk/cut cycles before maintaining again all by manipulating calories. No food restrictions; just a food scale and accurate logging.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I'm a super picky person when it comes to food -- I dislike a lot of things and while that has changed a little bit... well, the things I DO like are carby. There's no way in this beautiful life that I'm living without carbs -- but I already have to eliminate foods based on necessity (health/medical/wheresmyepipen) that eliminating more foods based on choice was never appealing to me. That being said, Keto and other programs work great for my friends, but it's not for me.

I lost about 36kg on changing the amount I eat (watching my calories) and exercising. It works for me, and lets me have the things I like and *can* eat while allowing me to drop the kilos.

I am pretty sedentary, truth be told. If I do concentrated exercise, I'll eat a portion of that back, but otherwise, I set out to make sure that whatever I did to lose weight (whether food OR exercise) had to be sustainable for me in the long term. That way, as I get to maintenance (still about 17.5kg away, sob), I don't have to change anything other than my calorie intake. I do the things I love in the quantities that I want.

Good luck!
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins years ago. Lost 60lbs in 39 weeks (I found an old tracker). For me it worked. This time around, I've lost 80lbs so far (about half way to goal) doing WW which is not Keto - though some people do do keto on WW. From my experience with Atkins, I know that carbs are my enemy. When WW added beans as a zero point food, I added them to my diet (tracking them, IMO there's no such thing as free except for celery and lettuce). I eventually stalled out. Came here to track macros in addition to tracking on WW. I have my protein at about 40%, fat and carbs at 30% each. When I stick to my macros, calories, and points, I loose. It's more work for me, but it's working for me.
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm down 108 (293 heaviest down to 185 now). Only macro I worry about is protein. I try to stay pretty high on protein and lift heavy to avoid muscle loss. I probably average 200 g of carbs per day. My diary is public. Best advice I have is be honest with tracking and try to make more healthy choices while still eating what you want in moderation to keep your sanity! Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!