Meal replacements

Options
Hi. I really struggle with breakfast and although I'm trying to keep the healthy grab and go type things around its still tough. So I'm wondering if there is a good meal replacement shake or bar that I can have in the cupboard for emergencies so I don't skip breakfast all together and then make bad choices later in the day?
Thanks

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I will often have a piece of fruit, usually a banana, and a Protein One bar. Protein One bars are 10g of protein at 90 calories in a pretty small package; I would not recommend one alone. I just like to throw in some protein with a carb/fiber choice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I add soaked chia seeds and protein powder to coffee (need to let the coffee cool a bit.)
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    For drinks, I occasionally grab a Muscle Milk Lite. It's only 150 calories. I'll grab a fruit or a a couple eggs to eat with it. Since dairy is hard on my stomach, I sometimes do an Isopure. It's 160 calories and has no dairy.

For bars, I like Quest, OhYeah One, RX Bars or Clif Builder Bars. These range 190 to 280 calories per bar.

For other stuff, hard boiled eggs, pre-cooked chicken, cheese sticks and crackers, fruit, 100 calorie packs of nuts, beef jerky, a defrosted Uncrustables sandwich or a leftover slice of pizza are all good options and can easily be eaten out of a ziploc bag.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Often with my job I don’t have time nor do I feel like eating while on shift or I get called in with no plan for a “ meal” at work I often fall back on a cliff bar and a peice of fruit.

If I’m freezer prepping I make muffins that have shredded carrot, apple, coconut in them. I’ll also make big batches of tofu scramble with black beans, corn and salsa and freeze in individual containers and have it in a tortilla or a piece of toast and avocado, overnight oats are also great and keep my pretty full for awhile.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I just skip breakfast

It won't harm you or your weight loss
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Hi. I really struggle with breakfast and although I'm trying to keep the healthy grab and go type things around its still tough. So I'm wondering if there is a good meal replacement shake or bar that I can have in the cupboard for emergencies so I don't skip breakfast all together and then make bad choices later in the day?
    Thanks

Identifying challenge spots is the first step to managing them to your satisfaction. Good start!

Have you ever stopped to try and figure out what exactly it is about breakfast that you 'struggle' with?
    - no time to spare
    - no desire to cook
    - no hunger to feed

The answers to these might lead you to solutions. I can propose some ideas to each of the 'no' items above, but, they may not be your solutions; just sharing the process as an example you might want to try.
    - get up 15 minutes earlier
    - meal prep in advance
    - get enough calories later in the day and don't worry about breakfast.

good luck to you!
  • Steve0153
    Steve0153 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use a product called Huel, they do powder for shakes or bars.. I've been using it for about 6 months for breakfast and lunch. It does wonders for me.
    https://uk.huel.com
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,029 Member
    Options
    I just skip breakfast

It won't harm you or your weight loss

Well it will if you are one of those people who tend to make poor choices later and overeat later if you havent started the day with breakfast.

that isnt everyone and it may not be you - but reading OP did seem like this is a problem for her.
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I started with a whey /kefir/berries shake after a surgery and I liked it so much 5 years later I still have it !! Tastes yummy and I’m not a bacon and eggs person in the morning.. it stinks to me ! Good luck figuring out your best options 🌼
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I had a protein shake this morning. I don't want a lot to eat, but need something to take meds with. I usually actually eat at around 10:30.
  • DougBobrow
    DougBobrow Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There are a few things that I have found to work well:
    1. Grab a protein bar: I like Cliff Builder Bars (Mint Chocolate) or the ProBar brand
    2. Pack a quick Greek Yogurt + Fruit... plus this will save you money
    3. Try fruit: there's a lot of easy things you can eat while on the run: bananas, apples, pears