Chia seeds - all hype?

Options
You see a lot of posts on Facebook about people taking chia seeds as a weightloss tool. I know they are healthy for you but do they really help you lose wight? They suggest soaking 2 Tbsp in water and drinking it once or twice a day. Is it all hype? Some crazy fad? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    deb1ray wrote: »
    You see a lot of posts on Facebook about people taking chia seeds as a weightloss tool. I know they are healthy for you but do they really help you lose wight? They suggest soaking 2 Tbsp in water and drinking it once or twice a day. Is it all hype? Some crazy fad? What are your thoughts?

There is no magical food that aids in losing weight. They are high in fiber which might help you feel more full. They are also a good source of soluble fiber which is beneficial if you have cholesterol issues. They are also packed with all kinds of other good nutrition and there are a lot of awesome things to say about them...but they don't magically cause you to lose weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I soak a half tablespoon of chia seeds in water for a few hours and then add it to smoothies.

I use chia seeds to help me meet my fiber goal. Fiber helps me feel fuller, which makes it easier to maintain a calorie deficit, which makes it easier to lose weight.
  • deb1ray
    deb1ray Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your input friends :-)
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    They help being more regular if you know what I mean :D
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    They have a decent amount of protein, fiber and amino acids. They thicken food. As with all foods, they have calories. Your choice what you choose to eat. I like them in my yogurt, salads and scrambled eggs.
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    I can't deal with the texture of them, they remind me of frog spawn
    lol, true. Kind of like tapioca.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    yukfoo wrote: »
    "Over a 12-week period, we did not see a change in appetite or weight loss" in study participants who consumed chia seeds, says researcher David Nieman, DrPH, a professor at Appalachian State University in North Carolina. "Our study showed no reduction in body weight, body fat and no improvement in traditional cardiovascular markers from 50 grams of chia per day.”
    Chia seeds are fairly high in soluble fiber (about 11 grams per ounce) so it could help with daily fiber intake.

Yep. I put them in my oatmeal for a fiber boost.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    I can't deal with the texture of them, they remind me of frog spawn

Sure, they absolutely look like frog eggs when soaked :wink:

But this is not noticeable when mixed in my smoothie.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great info and ideas!!!!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I make "jam" with them. 40oz bag frozen raspberries, like a cup of chia seeds and maybe 1/4 cup of sugar. Makes a lovely, thick spread and my kids love it. You don't noticed the texture of it some much in raspberries due to the seediness.

Eta: makes a great addition to plain yogurt, oatmeal, vanilla or chocolate ice cream, works in pb&js
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are almost all fibre.. they go in and then they go out , kind of like corn .

I believe they make me feel full ,but who knows really ...
  • rebeccaann01
    rebeccaann01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love chia seeds. They help me feel fuller and keep me from over eating. When I am craving something sweet I make chia seed pudding. Soak them in a little milk overnight and it will be a thick pudding like texture), add cocoa and a little sweetener like honey, or fruit and you have a little dessert that will fill you up and keep you satisfied.