Bulking making me ill

I've nearly added 23 pounds in 32 weeks on 2400 cal's per day but have had to go down to 2300 as I couldn't face the food.

Literally just sat down to dinner and I can't do it. I wanted to go up to 28 pounds and start cutting after Christmas.

I'm chewing on Rennie, chuffing pink goo liquid Pepto and eating smaller regular meals but it's dreadful.

There is no room in my stomach, my diaphragm is in my lungs and I'm sweating conkers.

What can I do? Any help is much appreciated.

Replies

• RMaxwell90
    RMaxwell90 Posts: 36 Member
    What are you typically eating? Find something that you like to eat, and digest well and add it in.

Generally people recommend high calorie density food like peanut butter (or any nut butter really). Liquid calories are generally easy to add in even when you're full. If you already have a smoothie or something like that you can probably add some olive oil without changing the taste too much to pack in some extra calories.

Adding small snacks can help, dried fruit is easy to eat and has a lot of calories.

What do you like to eat? Candy? Ice cream/frozen yogurt? I'm of the opinion that "junk" food is much better than not enough food when it comes to bulking
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    RMaxwell90 wrote: »
    What are you typically eating? Find something that you like to eat, and digest well and add it in.

Generally people recommend high calorie density food like peanut butter (or any nut butter really). Liquid calories are generally easy to add in even when you're full. If you already have a smoothie or something like that you can probably add some olive oil without changing the taste too much to pack in some extra calories.

Adding small snacks can help, dried fruit is easy to eat and has a lot of calories.

What do you like to eat? Candy? Ice cream/frozen yogurt? I'm of the opinion that "junk" food is much better than not enough food when it comes to bulking

I'm already doing this, pizza yesterday and not averse to doughnuts and the like. Any food at any size or caloric rate is tough right now, I was full after a bowl of porridge this morning with peanut butter and banana in it.
  • RMaxwell90
    How about liquid calories? Sugar in your coffee/tea? can of coke?

How often are you eating? Could you tolerate snacks?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    In addition to @RMaxwell90 's advice, maybe you just need to back off for a couple of weeks. I've never bulked myself, but the folks I know who have usually do shorter cycles. 8 months is a long time, isn't it? Maybe eat at maintenance for a few weeks and see if your stomach settles down.

Also, are you sure it's the food? Is it possible you have a bug or something? Did you change what you are eating recently?
  • Silkysausage
    You know what, it could be because lately I have have had a virus but not stomach related. I might go to maintenance for a while as suggested and see what happens.

Thank you!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    What are you eating? 2400 calories is not that much food, assuming you're not eating massive volumes of low calorie stuff too.

This is about 2400 and not that much volume

Breakfast 420
    Noosa yogurt (220 cals)
    protein bar (200)

Snack 300
    2 tbsp peanut butter (200)
    1 apple (100 cals)

Lunch 705 calories
    2 pieces of toast (240 cal)
    2 slices of cheese (200 cals)
    2 whole eggs (160 cals)
    tomato slices (5cals)
    1 banana (100 cals)

Dinner 800 cals
    6 oz chicken (240 cals)
    2 flour tortillas (200 cals)
    lettuce, tomato, onion, salsa (10 cals)
    1/2 avocado (150cals )
    sour cream (100 cals)

Dessert 200 cals
    Reeses cups

• RMaxwell90

It's all relative, I would routinely eat 2400 Cal in one sitting during my last bulk but for someone who isn't accustomed to that amount of food it can seem like a lot to them. Just like "heavy" is relative.

I think you found out the answer to your original question, I know my appetite either goes crazy or becomes non-existent when I'm sick.
    Taking a break won't kill you either, obviously. 😉

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    My bulks get like this at the end. Mind you I gain a lot slower, usually 0.5lb per week which is easier to deal with (otherwise I'd be at 4K+cals) and the maximum I've gained is 15lbs in 8 months.

Why not lower the surplus, you are gaining at a pretty high rate. How is your muscle to fat gain? Typically for females the recommendation is to gain 2lbs per month or less to reduce fat gain, as well it makes it more manageable to get the cals in. Many times it takes more than one bulk cycle to reach a certain weight goal.
  • latestarter75
    latestarter75 Posts: 50 Member
    As others have suggested back off for a couple of weeks and go again, personally I find bulking harder than contest prep, in my last bulk I was hitting 7300 calories a day of clean food and towards the end I felt like you do now and probably should of backed off myself for a week or two but was limited time wise so pushed through.
  • Silkysausage
    As others have suggested back off for a couple of weeks and go again, personally I find bulking harder than contest prep, in my last bulk I was hitting 7300 calories a day of clean food and towards the end I felt like you do now and probably should of backed off myself for a week or two but was limited time wise so pushed through.

That's an insane amount of calories 😶
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Nothing to add really as I was going to suggest taking a break as well.

Just wanted to say it's nice to see you. You've been missed.

Hope the bulk is going well, muscle gain wise.

Cheers, h.
  • latestarter75
    latestarter75 Posts: 50 Member

That's an insane amount of calories 😶
    It is but like yourself I burn through calories very quickly so if I want to add muscle I have to eat that amount unfortunately, unlike most of my bodybuilder friends I actually look forward to the prep phase so I can eat less
  • Silkysausage
    Nothing to add really as I was going to suggest taking a break as well.

Just wanted to say it's nice to see you. You've been missed.

Hope the bulk is going well, muscle gain wise.

Cheers, h.

Could have been taken slower but I got carried away! It's all a learning curve and I know what to do differently next time.

Nice to talk to you 😗