Personal Trainer - how to qualify

Options
I've been considering signing up for a 10-series set of personal training sessions, and observing the trainers at the gym where I do my workouts.

Does anyone have some tips on how they assess the skills of a personal trainer?

There is little doubt in my mind that a personal trainer can count reps for me, and hold me accountable with a scheduled appointment time, and they can apply friendly pressure to push a little harder when I'm clearly holding back. But, I can also do that for myself (with continued self-determination).

I have an expectation that establishing good form is one of the key benefits of working with a trainer. I've worked out enough to appreciate the risk of injury, or waste of time, if I were to perform a routine in poor form. But, I'm not so experienced that I can confidently proceed on my own, not without some training help.

I'm inclined not to work with the trainer who allows half his class to fling weights around with no regard for form. (tho, maybe it's out of the scope of the class structure for him to advise on form, still it strikes me as contradictory to the role of trainer).

appreciate any input for my consideration.
thanks

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about a group class or actual personal training? On occasion I've seen some trainers do a boot camp style class from time to time, but in most cases trainers work with clients one on one and group classes are led by fitness instructors who are versed in that class specifically.

A lot of it's just trial and error. I've worked with a few trainers...a couple of them I just didn't think were very good in that mainly their programming wasn't what I was looking for and was pretty cookie cutter. One of them was pretty good, but we just didn't really click on any kind of personal level.

I don't work with my current trainer one on one much anymore, but he still writes my programming for me...it took me a few years to find him. I really wanted to get back into Oly lifting and improve my overall athleticism and it was difficult to find a trainer outside of crossfit who did Oly work...I basically happened on him by accident as he runs his own gym and lost his lease so he started renting space at the gym I was working out at the time and I noticed that he had Oly lifting as part of his programming for all of his clients. We talked and I signed up for a session and we just hit it off pretty good. I've been with him for over three years now and we're very good friends and our families socialize together awesome...love that guy!!!

In my experience, trainers employed by the gym tend to not be the best...not that there can't be good one's, but it seems to me that many of them are just starting out and are inexperienced, plus the gym has them also doing sales which is annoying IMO. I've had the most luck with trainers who are their own boss and rent space from a gym or own their own.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    All personal trainers should have an official certification in order to be employed as one. Class instructors don't necessarily mean they can do personal training as well. For example, I am a certified fitness instructor through canfitpro. That means I can teach a class, but I am not qualified to be a personal trainer.

Go with someone who is certified and who can prove they are certified. If you go to a gym that employs several PTs (e.g. GoodLife), talk to the front desk about your options. They can probably put you with someone who can meet your specific needs.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are you talking about a group class or actual personal training? On occasion I've seen some trainers do a boot camp style class from time to time, but in most cases trainers work with clients one on one and group classes are led by fitness instructors who are versed in that class specifically.

A lot of it's just trial and error. I've worked with a few trainers...a couple of them I just didn't think were very good in that mainly their programming wasn't what I was looking for and was pretty cookie cutter. One of them was pretty good, but we just didn't really click on any kind of personal level.

I don't work with my current trainer one on one much anymore, but he still writes my programming for me...it took me a few years to find him. I really wanted to get back into Oly lifting and improve my overall athleticism and it was difficult to find a trainer outside of crossfit who did Oly work...I basically happened on him by accident as he runs his own gym and lost his lease so he started renting space at the gym I was working out at the time and I noticed that he had Oly lifting as part of his programming for all of his clients. We talked and I signed up for a session and we just hit it off pretty good. I've been with him for over three years now and we're very good friends and our families socialize together awesome...love that guy!!!

In my experience, trainers employed by the gym tend to not be the best...not that there can't be good one's, but it seems to me that many of them are just starting out and are inexperienced, plus the gym has them also doing sales which is annoying IMO. I've had the most luck with trainers who are their own boss and rent space from a gym or own their own.

I had not considered that distinction between fitness instructors for a class versus one on one personal training. Helpful to know about, thanks.

Personal training is what I’m looking for, not group classes.
    Thanks
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers aren’t fitness instructors, though some do both. To be a PT you have to get certified. That said I’ve done personal training in the past and my mom is head PT at her gym - there are duds out there. If you are unhappy with who you get as a personal trainer ask for a new one. Sometimes it can take a couple tries to get the right fit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You've identified your criteria, which makes sense. The next step would be to meet with a few trainers and ask for a short (complimentary) session together. Then you can compare which one best meets your needs.

In all honesty, to be a trainer you need to take a course and pass a test. There are many options, and in the end the success of training is based on the individual's personal approach and style. Some are better at putting into practice what they learned in their course. Some have certain biases that translate into their training approach, which could be good or bad depending on what they are and your needs.

Good luck and great job wanting to focus on form!
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the best thing to do is spend some time watching specific trainers work with their clients and see if you like their style/approach/methodology.