Volume eater looking to incorporate more fat

Options
Hi everyone :) I've been at 1200cal/day for the past two or so months, and have realized that I LOVE big meals. Feeling full really helps me stick to my plan, and I've been incorporating lots of lean protein and whole foods with high water content to make volume eating work for me. All that is lovely and I have good energy levels and the weight is coming off, but recently I've been coming short of my fat RDA by a significant amount. MFP gives me 40g/day (I'm 5'6 177lb) but I've only had around ~25g/day the past week or so.

I want to make sure my diet is balanced, but it feels like all the foods with large healthy fat percentages (cheese, avocado, nut butter, etc.) eat up a big chunk of my daily goal and don't fill me up as much as a more water-rich food would (ex. I switched from peanut butter to PB2 and felt a lot more full and happy, but lost a healthy source of fat). How do you other people who love big meals make sure you're getting enough fat? Thanks!!

Replies

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened coconut flakes is one of my fatty additives.
    Olives are a fave fatty filler.
    Ghee added to anything, but especially nice on a bowl of steamed spinach.
  • ecmorgan78
    ecmorgan78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was afraid of this answer, just wondered if people had any tips.

As far as calories go, I've been seeing the progress I want at 1200. I'm not hungry 24/7 and have plenty of energy, I eat back some of my exercise calories if I feel the need, and have been losing ~1lb a week. I'm really trying hard to develop a healthy relationship with food and 1200 has been helping. Thank you for looking out for me though :)
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Toss some oil, avocado or nuts on your salads/meals?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Salad dressing, seeds, nuts, whole milk.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I agree that 1200 is probably needless low calorie goal.

but yeah, I asked the same question and still struggle a bit with this one ;) Same as you i ended up very low fat as i was eating for volume.

as i got used to eating less, i was able to make small changes and I also upped my calories a bit (from 1300 to like 1350, and now closer to 1450). I added real milk greek yogurt as a snack and dry roasted, unsalted almonds (about 120cals worth as a snack). these two have been good fat bang for my calorie buck. I also have a side with dinner that is cauliflower rice with cow cheese melted in.

As i add calorie to my diet, i ensure to fill that with fat.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    In soups and stews where I use very lean chicken and pork as the main item, I'll normally add a bit of a higher fat meat (not quite as fatty as most sausage is, for instance, but enough to up the fat content a bit). Most often, it winds up being breakfast turkey sausage links, which makes a lot of the items much tastier. So you can tailor the protein/fat ratio in those.

Or hold back on adding all the protein source at the beginning and afterwards add in bits from a rotisserie chicken (which will include skin and fattier meat sections).

Or spritz the veggies with some oil - those aerosol cans give you a lot of control over how much you are adding, and come in butter flavor or olive oil in addition to the typical vegetable oil.
    ETA: or sprinkle on parmesan cheese from one of those canisters - a little bit goes a long way -- it will add a bit of fat and flavor but won't be over the top on how much fat, calories it adds.

whole milk and cottage cheese (the increase in calories isn't drastic as with cheese, peanut butter) if you currently eat the low-fat versions.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    also, at 5'6" and 177lb, you may want to up your calorie intake.
  • amy19355
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice :) I’m going to try 1350 for a while (surprisingly very nervous to do that, I didn’t realize how much my feeling of control was tied to 1200) and focus on using the techniques above to balance everything out.

Don’t be nervous. I just did it and there’s an adjustment while you portion larger piles of things, but you;ll be fine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice :)I’m going to try 1350 for a while (surprisingly very nervous to do that, I didn’t realize how much my feeling of control was tied to 1200) and focus on using the techniques above to balance everything out.

Glad to hear it!

You might find this interesting: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

• amy19355
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for the advice :)I’m going to try 1350 for a while (surprisingly very nervous to do that, I didn’t realize how much my feeling of control was tied to 1200) and focus on using the techniques above to balance everything out.

Glad to hear it!

You might find this interesting: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

That is a really well written article on the idea of a 1200 calorie diet. I think it should be a sticky post!

Thanks so much for posting it!

• JayFromThatOnePlace
    Options
    Keep in mind the fat intake is a general guideline. You won't be unhealthy if you're getting say 60% of recommended fat. This is especially true if you aren't struggling with hunger issues.
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You could make some fat bombs 😋they are so good and will add the good fat your body needs . I love the creamcheese peanut butter ones I make them 1/2 teaspoon so I can have 2 a day ! Have fun 🌼
  • ecmorgan78
    ecmorgan78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Phoebe5164 wrote: »
    You could make some fat bombs 😋they are so good and will add the good fat your body needs . I love the creamcheese peanut butter ones I make them 1/2 teaspoon so I can have 2 a day ! Have fun 🌼

Ooh I just bought some cream cheese, I’ll have to try that out!