Sweating excessively at gym!

2»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    It is fine to sweat at the gym. Don't sweat it :)
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited November 2018
    I also sweat a lot, and get a beet red face to go with it. Interestingly I have had someone comment on it at the gym (so much for people not noticing.) Guy got on the treadmill beside me "wow you sweat a lot, wish I could work up a sweat like that". That was a few years ago and I still remember because it was weird and embarrassing.
    So to me sweating too much at the gym is fine, commenting on someone sweating at the gym isn't.
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    I honestly, sincerely envy you! I have the opposite problem. I don't sweat. I overheat and then get a migraine. It's some weird genetic thing. My daughter has it too. My hands are the only thing that sweat.

This. Unless I do hot power yoga at 95 F I don't sweat at all. I can do a Barre class at the same studio at 88 F and my clothes are damp but I do not need to wash my hair. (Full disclosure, they have a 105F restorative yoga class that also leaves me drenched, but I have only been to it once.)

I know it's genetics. My husband is the opposite and sweats a lot and we have two kids that do and two that don't.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I sweat a good bit. Makes me feel like I'm getting a good workout. I really don't care if others are sweaty as long as they wipe off their machines
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    the gym is one place that it's socially acceptable to be all gross and sweaty lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I honestly, sincerely envy you! I have the opposite problem. I don't sweat. I overheat and then get a migraine. It's some weird genetic thing. My daughter has it too. My hands are the only thing that sweat.

I used to be the same way when I was younger. it didnt matter how hot it was I would be dressed like it was winter time and not sweat. I would wear jeans in 100 degree weather and be comfortable. AFTER I had kids that all changed .my hands didnt sweat back then either but I didnt get migraines from it thankfully
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I wouldnt worry about excessive sweating when at the gym. its when you arent at the gym and just doing normal things that it then could be hyperhidrosis
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I definitely sweat a lot less after losing weight. It's a really profound difference now, it has to be pretty hot/ warm environment for me to sweat noticably during workout. When i noticed that change, i was worried at first that something was wrong with me, then i thought my teammates would think that I'm not trying hard enough, as everyone will be dripping in the locker room and i would still be pretty dry. I'm over it by now, it is what it is. Don't stress it, truth is, no one cares. Lighter, quick drying clothing will help, and towel off as much as you need.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I hardly sweat at all, but can I just say - as others up here have already pointed out, majority of people at the gym won't notice it AT ALL. Or if they do, they won't care. Just wipe stuff down and keep sweating!

• UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    I don't know about your gym, but every gym I've ever been a member of (and there are a lot of different ones over the years), has been too hot. I don't think they set the heat or AC for the people that are exercising, I think they set it for the employees.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    when i finish a run, i'm soaked like i took a shower in my clothes.
    it's always been that way from when i was skinny kid to overweight to where i am now. and i get red. i look like i'm dying.
    i take a cold shower after and it seems to help enough that i stop sweating before i get to work. but i'm still red.

at the gym-people just think you have an awesome workout if they notice at all
  • mkw1805
    mkw1805 Posts: 1 Member
    I've always been a heavy sweater as well! The best thing for me is reminding myself that it's the natural way body cools itself down. Some people don't need their bodies cooled much others. I think of it if you were working in an office. One person will find too cold and while others perfect! So with mind get embarrassed. Also when you're at gym sweating lots badass out so hard! keep bandana to wipe off sweat also have band. Can't go without one or other. Don't worry about though. If not that's should be worrying!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2018
    Sam, I'm a huge sweater too. Only thing for us to "worry" about is not getting on the lifting stations after cardio. I do my lifting, if I lift at the gym, before cardio. Otherwise, I'm completely gross. I lose 3 lbs a day working out in sweat. At my old gym, on the rower, which was on a mat at that gym over a hard tile floor, I would create sweat puddles. Huge ones. Really nasty but most complimented me on how hard I was working as I always wiped it up and followed up with a disinfectant afterward.

I'd look in to a good, cheap electrolyte formula/pill. I bought one recently on Amazon that was really cheap (like a 3 month supply for $12). Remember sweat isn't only water, it's minerals too. One risk with sweating a lot is being dehydrated or short on minerals. Since I've been taking this electrolyte tablet, I've felt better. I had two migraines in the last two years and the first time it freaked me out! I couldn't see at all. Went to my eye doc because they found I had a narrow optic nerve years ago and might have to watch out for Glaucoma. When I couldn't see, I was thinking (stupidly) that it was Glaucoma. Eye doc was just like, "no, you're just not getting enough electrolytes". I had no idea that just drinking water wasn't enough.