1 teaspoon of olive oil goes a long way

Options
amy19355
amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
edited November 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I was totally flabbergasted to discover how much food can be successfully cooked up in just a teaspoon of olive oil.

This was an important discovery for me, because before I started measuring/weighing the foods I eat, I'd just splash in a big puddle of the stuff thinking "it's good oil it's good for me no limits needed".

One of my common breakfasts is a one pan meal that goes like this:
1 tsp of olive oil
1 oz chopped onion
1 cup chopped spinach or kale
when the onion and kale are soft and tender,
add 1/2 cup rice and mix thoroughly,
then,
drop two eggs on top, cover with a lid until the eggs whites are cooked and the yolks are still soft.
slide it onto a plate and
enjoy.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Yes, this was one of the great lessons I learned! I was so timid about how much of the oil to log when I KNEW that at least some of the liquid left when I was done was oil, but I didn't want to cheat myself out of 100 cals I might be leaving in the pan. So I experimented with the least amount of oil/butter I could cook stuff in and still get the right texture and taste. And you do need WAY less than I thought!

I've also learned to add a little oil at each stage, so a bit to brown the onions, a bit more when I add the rest of the veg, the final bit when I put in the meat. I end up using less oil than when I would put it all in at the beginning.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Amazing how much olive oil I used to use to cook veggies and meat! Just because it was , "healthy" lol
  • RachellaJ
    RachellaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yum! That sounds really delicious. My kind of breakfast! I’m definitely going to try it.