Go see FREE SOLO on a big screen. You can thank me later.

Options
alex-honnold-el-capitan-rope-free-ascent-9.jpg

Free Solo is a National Geographic documentary about "one of the greatest athletic achievements of any kind ever," "the moon landing of the rock climbing world." But it's about a lot more than that.

What should we be trying to get out of life? Happiness? Longevity? Relationships with other people? Excellence? What should a person be ready to sacrifice to answer their calling? Comfort? Love? Life itself?

Alex Honnold climbed Yosemite's El Capitan alone and without a rope.

The movie was filmed mostly in Yosemite and is incredibly beautiful. We learn a bit about the man himself, about the history of extreme climbing in Yosemite, full of people who died answering their callings. Like Meru, Free Solo is also about its own filming. Everybody involved in making the film were friends, and there's a palpable sense of dread and anticipation, which only heightens the sense of triumph. Ultimately this is a movie about life. Go see it.

alex-honnold-free-solo-el-capitan-2016.adapt.1900.1.jpg?v=28&azure=false&scale=both&width=1024&height=560&mode=crop

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My vertigo is kicking in just looking at the pictures...
  • jaysonpearce
    jaysonpearce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to see it! It's not out in cinemas yet 😔
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My vertigo is kicking in just looking at the pictures...

I wanted to hyperventilate watching him move through the crux, and that was a practice climb with a rope!

Before I climbed I thought the challenge would be pretty physical. I learned that climbing (outdoors, on a rope) is less about doing pull-ups and more about overcoming your fear.

I saw this the other night with family. I'm going to see it a few more times before it leaves the theaters.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    But it's only in the crappy theatre nearby!

I guess I'll have to drive down to Providence
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Boulder Problem. I gasped audibly at that.

Nuff said.

Really good, NC. I saw it in the Regal downtown Seattle - with the recliners, thanks for getting me to go!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I didn't know you were in Seattle! Hope you're enjoying your time here. :smile:

I was almost hyperventilating at the same scene!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I live here. :)

• NorthCascades
    Options
    Well, I didn't realize you had such good taste!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Ah, thank you. Yes, I even moved myself here by choice. I actually live outside the city limits, but not by too far. North.

That movie...when I was young I remember seeing a skydiving movie that was beautifully filmed and it was about some "outlaw" jumps off El Cap. It made a huge impression on me at the time...in the early 70s.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I moved here from Connecticut. I drove across country a few times, taking long and scenic routes, and Washington just took my breath away.

Are you a member of nwhikers by any chance?
  • vixvox
    vixvox Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Saw it at our local film festival. The guy is bonkers!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I just watched the trailer.

WOW!!! :o:o:o
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I could do that (I just don't feel like it) :p
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I moved here from Connecticut. I drove across country a few times, taking long and scenic routes, and Washington just took my breath away.

I'm not. That's a forum, right?

• NorthCascades
    Options

I'm not. That's a forum, right?

Yeah. Most of the members are from the greater Seattle area. We have a calendar contest every year, and there's a social in the U District on December 15. You should come. Ski is bringing homemade pie.