Opinions On BMI

Options

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    BMI is crap. When I was at a BMI of 19-20, everyone said I looked too skinny. I was at 16% body fat. Now I have naturally settled at a BMI of 22-23 (20% body fat) and I have more energy and I’m happier.

I think they should cut "healthy/normal" off at 20 on the low end. There are exceptions for petite women and people with small frames, usually of Asian descent. Most people will indeed look too skinny below a BMI of 20. at least IMO.

Many physicians and organizations do. The 18.5-19.9 bit is really designed for people with legitimately small frames, and for those of Asian descent.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I don't really have much to add to what's being said here. I agree that BMI is a range for a reason. You are most likely to be healthy at anywhere within that range. Beyond that it's about what you want to look like and what you can maintain. I am currently at 24 (5 ft 3 and 137lbs) and I would like to be slimmer I know that I can maintain at about 5lbs less as I have done so before but much smaller than that is difficult for me and I think why stress myself out trying to maintain that when I am already healthy?