Exercise

Options
I need some help figuring out what exercise I can do without using my knee, I screwed it up bad. Thanks ahead of time.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    You would be best talking to your doc, and if needed getting a referral to a PT.
    A screwed up knee can be a lot of things so I can not recommend any exercises, except seated upper body, maybe, without possibly causing more harm.

Cheers, h.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Youtube has lots of chair exercise videos, and you can specify ‘upper body’ in the search. Get the doc to check the knee meanwhile; screwed it up bad doens’t Always heal itself. You can also see lots of ‘knee pain’ videos that will help you self diagnose what might be the cause of your issue.
    Good luck to you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I discourage you from trying to work through a knee injury. (How did it happen, BTW?)

Do see your doctor and get a referral to a PT.

Here are the knee strengthening exercises my PT gave me:

hsgucq1bb1em.jpg

Most of the time walking is ok for me; sometimes it is not. Ditto for swimming. I tried to do lower body strength training with cables and seemed to have re-injured my knee :( Back to all upper body.

I was never crazy about the recumbent bike, but some people with knee issues swear by it. Something to discuss with your PT.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,736 Member
    Options
    See your doctor sooner rather than later. If you work through pain, some knee problems can be worsened to the point of needing much more traumatic, interventionist treatments. You don't want that. In other cases, working through any level of pain you can tolerate will not make the situation materially worse. Until you know where you are on that continuum, don't work it. Do upper body exercise if you like, but be smart, don't stress the knee.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of knee injury you have, as well as other factors, such as previous injuries or other health concerns. Best to get a professional opinion on this instead of asking people on the internet.
  • Skworon
    Skworon Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I never said I did not see my doctor and I am doing PT for my knee and following doctor instruction for knee. But I wanted to do something for my upper body because I can not walk a lot right now. Thanks Amy 19355 utube is a great Idea, will try looking for some sitting exercises.