How to diet while being a picky eater

I’m a picky eater, what are foods or ways to eat healthy while being a picky eater. It’s mostly a texture thing.

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Texture thing.... meaning?? You don't like soft foods, crunchy foods, things with crunchy bits?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Weight loss is all about taking in fewer calories. You can do that with smaller portions of food you currently like.

Vegetables (just a guess) help me keep calories lower because they provide lots of bulk and are generally lower in calories. They give me a lot of "bang for my calorie buck." You don't have to try new foods or new cooking methods, but not all vegetables have the same texture and cooking vs. raw, fresh vs. frozen is going to affect the texture. You can eat smaller portions of higher calorie foods forever.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Eat foods you like while maintaining a calorie deficit (consuming less calories than you expend).

There are no particular foods you have to eat for weight loss.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    As long as you eat fewer calories than you burn, you can eat whatever you want and lose weight. You won't necessarily be getting all the nutrition you need, but you'll lose weight.

I used to be a really picky eater, then I met my husband and he's a total foodie and very adventurous eater so I started being more adventurous too. Now I love trying new foods. It is something you can change about yourself if you are open to it. Be open to trying new foods and be willing to try things multiple times. Sometimes how a food is cooked can be a big impact in whether or not you like it as well so try foods cooked in different ways before discounting it completely.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I’m a picky eater, what are foods or ways to eat healthy while being a picky eater. It’s mostly a texture thing.

Just eat less of the foods you do like.

And take a multi vitamin if you're not a fruit & veg fan
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Eat what you like? I'm a picky eater and I don't eat foods I don't like no matter how healthful they are.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Keep eating the things you like. Just eat less of it.

• katijjaa
    katijjaa Posts: 34 Member
    One trick that I use is masking the food with spices I like. For example, I don't like chicken or tuna but I love curry so now I just spice whatever I don't like with curry and turmeric or even italian spices for other dishes. If it is mainly the texture then maybe you can change the texture. for example having minced meat or minced veggies etc. Hope that helped. Cheers!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Well, sure, for example, I can't stand the texture of raw tomatoes, and avoid them like the plague. But canned tomatoes are ok, preferably petite diced, or even better, pureed.

I also can't stand the texture of mushrooms. But I do like the flavor, so will cook with large chunks and pick them out or make them very tiny so they dissolve into the dish. Also, I find some mushrooms more edible than others. But never raw. /shudder/

If you give some examples we'd better be able to give you workarounds.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great discussion!!!!
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Texture thing.... meaning?? You don't like soft foods, crunchy foods, things with crunchy bits?

I'm a texture person, bananas give me the shudders, all that mush yet with stringy bits? Nightmare. Love banana bread or muffins though!
  • DougBobrow
    DougBobrow Posts: 9 Member

Well, what foods do you enjoy eating?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    For health, or weight loss?

For health, you just keep experimenting until you find things that appeal to you. For weight loss, don't worry about it.

What, specifically, do you deem "healthy"? Are you talking about fruits & veggies? My kids' favorite form of fruits & veggies are smoothies. You can also hide (from yourself) lots of veggies in sauces. Many enjoy roasted veggies as opposed to other prep methods.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Losing weight while being a picky eater isn't a problem. It's more of a long term challenge to stay healthy. You can learn, over time, to like things.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    It is the same as for someone who likes various kinds of food-eat what you like in portions that fit into your calorie goal.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Eat what you normally eat, but smaller portions. Just eat less.