Options
2»

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Seems a bit like click bait, everything I’ve ever learned about eye sight is genetic. Plenty of people played outside as kids and had to wear glasses 🙄.

It's mostly genetic.

Forget it
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    What bothers me about the study is the article's attempt at proving a causation where none can be proven.

But from what I see it's a cohort study. Meaning a purely observational study. You can't prove causation based on that. It's great for creating hypotheses. But that's what it remains.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    “Experts say they have found new factors, and confirmed others, which could affect a child’s risk of becoming shortsighted. These include playing computer games, being born in the summer and having a more highly educated mother

“In addition, for every higher level of education the mother had, the odds of the teenager having myopia rose by 33%”

What’s up with this?! A 33% higher risk is huge, just because your mother is more educated?! How does that work?
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Well my parents had perfect eyesight. Neither got glasses until in their late 50's. All four brothers perfect eyesight. Me got glasses in 4th grade really needed in 3rd grade. But there was a reason, I was still in a generation that there was not a vaccination for the dreaded German Measles as in the long ugly measles that lasted for weeks. And the lights hurt my eyes for about 2 weeks blankets over the windows. That was in 3rd grade. Always was outside playing. Nearsighted kept changing for years, then the astigamatism came in later years with all the PC work. Funny thing in last 10 years, they actually have been improving.