Tattoos.....

Options
OllyReeves
OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
I' m starting to put my plans in motion, found the places I want to get them done, and specifically who by, now to get things drawn up....

Any horror stories? There are some bad tattoos out there!

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    No horror stories from me!

Just make sure you research your artists, ask for a portfolio of their own work, most will take pictures of their work to show prospective clients.

And always remember; You get what you pay for!

And any good artist will give you solid advice on placement and how your design works with the contours of your body and aftercare! :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Nope love all of mine :)
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    what you gonna get? just make sure the drawing is just the way you want it. I like all of mine, no regrets, but wish my gold fish tat was a little different that what it is.

that and it seems the worst tats I see around are either mis-spelled or have really bad renderings of people's faces, lol.

so spell check and no faces unless your artist can really draw faces. faces are hard.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    yeah the couple of portraits I want (not family members or pets by the way) are the ones I took the longest to pick the artist.

The others, I have found this great guy in Egham, Surrey, he's expensive but his quality is the best I've seen....and I have really looked hard!
  • ShannonS2714
    ShannonS2714 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    No horror stories for me....I love all 4 of mine and have plans for more! My best word of advice is to see the artist's work ON SKIN, not just in pictures/on paper. Enjoy, once you start, they're addictive!!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I got mine 16 years ago, and I still like it. Every time I saw someone with a beautiful tattoo, I asked where they got it. The same name kept popping up over and over, so that's who I went with.
    I appreciated at the time that all the equipment used was disposable and sterile. As a nurse, I was watching to see that he was using good sterile technique. No problems.
  • brittyandian
    brittyandian Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My "horror" story is really more jsut me being embarassed by the artist. I have a decent sized chest peice tattoo and when the dude was doing it I was wearing a tube top. He kept complaining becuase "the girls were in the way" so he pretty much used his wristto squish them down and out of the way. Well he was wearing a watch and it got caught on my tube top and pulled it completely down! EVERYONE in the entire packed shop saw my boobs and applauded. I was so embarassed I almsot cried LOL
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I love my tattoos. :love: I can't wait to get more.
    The closest I have to a horror story is the fact that my killer whale on my right shoulder. Everyone thinks it is a dolphin. :noway: But other than that I love them. I am thinking of covering my whale and either having it redone in a northwestern native american stylized whale, or totally changing it to a celtic tree of life.
    I still haven't decided, so until I do I will focus on my pirate and what I want added to her (a treasure chest and bottle of rum at her feet, a pirate flag behind her, etc)
  • CrazyAnne
    CrazyAnne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love my tattoos! I would love to get a few more.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    My "horror" story is really more jsut me being embarassed by the artist. I have a decent sized chest peice tattoo and when the dude was doing it I was wearing a tube top. He kept complaining becuase "the girls were in the way" so he pretty much used his wristto squish them down and out of the way. Well he was wearing a watch and it got caught on my tube top and pulled it completely down! EVERYONE in the entire packed shop saw my boobs and applauded. I was so embarassed I almsot cried LOL

I have a chest piece coming up, now I know what to lookout for lol
  • brittyandian
    brittyandian Posts: 241 Member
    Options

No watches!! LOL
  • _KrisMarie_
    Options
    No horror stories either, but I am getting all my tattoos removed. I've had three laser treatments so far, and one is completely gone, the other three are fading well.

I'm just tired of having them. Nothing against them, and I think you should get them if you want, once you've sat with the idea of a design for a few months. I just enjoy changing things up, so tattoos are a bit too permanent for me. Just didn't realize that when I was younger. C'est la vie, live and learn. The removal process is pretty good these days, so it's not a big deal.

Hope you enjoy yours! :smile:
  • hollyann31
    hollyann31 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i have 6..no horror stories..just be sure what you want you wont regret know what i mean?!?! oh and if you get something in another language double check it before it gets put on you....
  • justlast
    justlast Posts: 30
    Options
    just seconding what everyone else here is saying - do your research! i have five and unfortunately i was an idiot and got most of them at 18/19 by friends (they had and somehow still have a shop, but they can't tattoo for *kitten*) because i thought they were great - it took a while to realize they're mediocre at best, straight up bad at worst.

if a shop doesn't feel right or you feel like the artist isn't listening to you, say you're sorry but you don't think this is the place for you and make an exit. remember that you're the customer - but on the other hand, remember that they're the trained professional and take into account their advice!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    No horror stories either, but I am getting all my tattoos removed. I've had three laser treatments so far, and one is completely gone, the other three are fading well.

I'm just tired of having them. Nothing against them, and I think you should get them if you want, once you've sat with the idea of a design for a few months. I just enjoy changing things up, so tattoos are a bit too permanent for me. Just didn't realize that when I was younger. C'est la vie, live and learn. The removal process is pretty good these days, so it's not a big deal.

Hope you enjoy yours! :smile:

^ This. That is why I would never get a permanent tatoo. Cannot imagine wanting anything on my body forever....especially not when I'm old and it is wrinkled up with the rest of my skin.
  • justlast
    justlast Posts: 30
    Options

getting your sternum tattooed is one of the weirdest things you will ever experience - but that said, good luck, i hope it goes perfectly!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    No horror stories. Find a good artist. Get a lot.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have three - getting another this winter - Husband has four and if i get one this winter he will have to get one too. No horror stories at all.

Just make sure it is what you want and placed exactly how you want. Once the image is there move around - flex the muscle, wiggle the tendons, see how it moves.

Flash is for p**sies - get some great art and whenever you post a photo - give the artist some credit...

All mine were done at Coastline Tattoo in Provincetown - two by Chris and one by Scott
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have two and i like the first one (I was young and dumb and it's pretty generic) and love the second one.

My "horror" story is when i went to get my first tat, i was in the waiting room and heard a scream from the back. Then a girl came out with red all over her. I was ready to leave when I heard that the red was ink that was spilled and the girl screamed/squealed when it was spilled on her. Made me more nervous than I was already. Also, my tattoo artist was a woman who had a snake tatted wrapped around her leg. I have no idea where the head of the snake ended but i have a vivid imagination.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i got one when i was 17 from a guy at his house for 20 bucks and a pack of smokes...don't do it like that! lol got that one covered up!