HELP! KEEP GAINING

Options
I've been doing so well for the past 2 months since I started. I had lost almost 10 pounds and was almost at my goal weight! Then Friday I weigh myself and I gained 2 lbs!! I've read that this could be excess salt - water weight....so today I weigh myself expecting to see myself back down....NO...I gained another pound!!
I haven't been as good at logging my calories and have been eating a bit more than usual but 3 pounds in a few days????
What is going on???

Replies

• evergreenlakegirl
    evergreenlakegirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    thanks Melanie.....my calorie goal is only 1200 and most times I feel like I'm starving.....I threw in the towel the last few days and just ate a "normal" meal- perhaps a bit more than usual and yes...I did eat more carbs...hopefully it'll go down again because I've worked really hard to get to this #
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    thanks Melanie.....my calorie goal is only 1200 and most times I feel like I'm starving.....I threw in the towel the last few days and just ate a "normal" meal- perhaps a bit more than usual and yes...I did eat more carbs...hopefully it'll go down again because I've worked really hard to get to this #

Chances are you ate more calories, sodium and carbs which have attributed to weight gain. Agree with @TavistockToad 1200 is typically not enough for most especially if you are feeling hungry and are prone to binge.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I've been doing so well for the past 2 months since I started. I had lost almost 10 pounds and was almost at my goal weight! Then Friday I weigh myself and I gained 2 lbs!! I've read that this could be excess salt - water weight....so today I weigh myself expecting to see myself back down....NO...I gained another pound!!
    I haven't been as good at logging my calories and have been eating a bit more than usual but 3 pounds in a few days????
    What is going on???

Give it another few days, I often go up and down 3-4lbs within the week depending upon what I've eaten, it's not fat going on in that short time frame it most likely water and hormones.
    I would also recommend upping your calories at least a few days a week, particularly if exercising, I too have tried 1200 cals a day and it's not easy to stick to without being hungry and then when you do have something different this short term weight gain happens as your body has to work harder to process it.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Try adding more calories to your daily amount. You're pretty much wiping out your deficit with your weekend splurges, so if you add more to the daily, the odds are pretty good that you'll actually end up eating less, because you won't be in that restriction-binge cycle.
  • evergreenlakegirl
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Thanks all....for reference....I'm 59 yo.... 5'3" and started at 128.7. My goal weight is 118-120. Last week I weighed in at 121 and felt I would be happy with that. I exercise 3-4 times per week- some cardio, some weights and usually add the estimated calories back in. When I started, I omitted my simple sugars (candy, ice-cream etc.) and kept my carbs and fats low. I eat mostly protein and veggies- but I only eat 2 meals a day- and a few healthy snacks in between. Friday night I caved and ate a restaurant cheeseburger and fries with a glass of wine AND a scoop of ice-cream..... :p ....it was a lot of food but I didn't eat much of anything else the entire day.
    I had also caved in on eating a slice of cheese now and then....and my kryptonite- pizza slice
    I suppose I need to go back to tracking....this was just so upsetting that I didn't even go to the gym today :(
  • cathipa
    Options
    Since you have so little to lose set a goal of 0.25-0.5 pounds a week. Should be easier to maintain the deficit this way.
  • evergreenlakegirl
    Options

Try adding more calories to your daily amount. You're pretty much wiping out your deficit with your weekend splurges, so if you add more to the daily, the odds are pretty good that you'll actually end up eating less, because you won't be in that restriction-binge cycle.

YES....I think you are right here Melanie
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    For those calories I'd rather have a mini bagel and something with some fat content.

Right? I'd rather have a protein bar - it would hold me a lot longer.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks all....for reference....I'm 59 yo.... 5'3" and started at 128.7. My goal weight is 118-120. Last week I weighed in at 121 and felt I would be happy with that. I exercise 3-4 times per week- some cardio, some weights and usually add the estimated calories back in. When I started, I omitted my simple sugars (candy, ice-cream etc.) and kept my carbs and fats low. I eat mostly protein and veggies- but I only eat 2 meals a day- and a few healthy snacks in between. Friday night I caved and ate a restaurant cheeseburger and fries with a glass of wine AND a scoop of ice-cream..... :p ....it was a lot of food but I didn't eat much of anything else the entire day.
    I had also caved in on eating a slice of cheese now and then....and my kryptonite- pizza slice
    I suppose I need to go back to tracking....this was just so upsetting that I didn't even go to the gym today :(

You gained weight after a restaurant meal? So it is just water weight...

Just get back to your deficit, you'll lose the water weight...
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    When I started, I omitted my simple sugars (candy, ice-cream etc.) and kept my carbs and fats low. I eat mostly protein and veggies- but I only eat 2 meals a day- and a few healthy snacks in between. Friday night I caved and ate a restaurant cheeseburger and fries with a glass of wine AND a scoop of ice-cream..... :p ....it was a lot of food but I didn't eat much of anything else the entire day.

Try experimenting to find our what foods help you feel fuller. As long as you stay in your calorie limit, you don't need to eliminate fats and carbs. Either or both might be what helps you to feel fuller for a longer time. Same with that slice of cheese. Weigh it, log it, eat it.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

Also consider tracking your weight on Happy Scale or another weight-trending application so that you can see through the fluctuations.
  • cathipa
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

Also consider tracking your weight on Happy Scale or another weight-trending application so that you can see through the fluctuations.

Libra for Android