Veggie Recipes

Options
allarounddice
allarounddice Posts: 39 Member
I'm a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic trying to change my palate to eating more veggies. Are there any good veggie recipes for me to try?

Yesterday I made roasted butternut squash cut and cubed up and drizzled with olive oil, kosher salt, ground pepper and chili powder and it was delish! It was filling for me. Trying to explore foods that are healthy and that I haven't eaten before. Staying away from sugars of course.

Replies

• victoriaxclaire
    victoriaxclaire Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    If you want to eat more veggies i suggest looking up some vegan recipes, they obviously mostly contain vegetables and are healthy for you too! (most of the time) here are some vegan food blogs to check out :)
    https://www.thissavoryvegan.com
    https://www.ilovevegan.com
    https://deliciouslyella.com

also heres one of my favourite recipes which i make all the time: https://www.thissavoryvegan.com/vegan-buffalo-cauliflower-tacos/
  • allarounddice
    allarounddice Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try the buffalo calilflower tacos this week. They look easy to make and delish!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    As @victoriaxclaire mentioned, vegan recipes tend to lean heavily on veggies. Here are some of my all-time favorites:

VEGETARIAN CHILI

1 ½ cups cooked kidney beans
    1 ½ cups cooked pinto beans
    1 can Dakota Pride Mild Chili Beans (my secret weapon-only thing I buy at Aldi’s)
    1 onion, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
    2 ½ cups water
    1 tblsp chix bullion powder (vegan)
    1 tblsp chili powder
    1 tblsp garlic salt
    1 tblsp cumin

Bring everything to a boil and cook until onions and peppers are soft – about 15 minutes.

RATATOUILLE HOAGIE

Dice & saute up in a tablespoon of olive oil:

1 eggplant
    1 zucchini
    1 green pepper
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic, minced

Once everything is getting fairly cooked, add in a can of diced tomatoes with juice and a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Season with salt & pepper, basil and parsley. I like to toast hoagie buns, load them with this, add (vegan) mozzarella and put under the broiler for just a minute - until the cheese is melted.

VEGGIE OVERLOAD “SPAGHETTI”

1 Tbsp Tuscan Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or regular EVOO)
    1 Onion, diced
    1 medium bell pepper, diced
    2 medium Zucchini, spiralized, juilienned or shredded in a food processor
    2 large Carrots, spiralized, juilienned or shredded in a food processor
    3 cloves Garlic, minced
    10 oz jar sliced Mushrooms
    1 can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce, no salt added
    1 can (15 oz) Diced Tomatoes, no salt added - DO NOT DRAIN
    2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
    2 Tbsp Flaxmeal
    1 Tbsp dried Basil
    1 Tbsp dried Parsley
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Nutritional Yeast (optional)
    Crushed Red Pepper flakes (optional)

Saute onion and bell pepper in oil until translucent. Add zucchini, carrots and garlic and saute for about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and heat through. Serve immediately with a sprinkling of nutritional yeast and red pepper flakes.

QUINOA VEGGIE PLATE

Ingredients
    1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup water
    1 tsp vegan chix bouillion (optional)
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1 cup frozen cut carrots
    1 cup frozen peppers and onions

*Sauce (or use your favorite jarred pasta sauce)
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    1/3 cup diced tomato with juice
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    1 tsp dried minced onion
    Dash of garlic powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste

1 tsp Nutritional Yeast (or parm)
    Sprinkling of Adobo Seasoning

Directions
    Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add vegan chix flavored bullion, if desired. After boiling, stir in rinsed quinoa, lower heat to medium low, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until quinoa is semi-translucent.

While quinoa is cooking, steam green beans, carrots, peppers and onions for 12 minutes.

For sauce, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, dried minced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper and heat on stove for 5 to 10 minutes.*

To plate, divide quinoa onto two plates, top each with half of the veggies and sprinkle on Adobo seasoning. Divide the tomato sauce and pour over each plate and top each one with 1/2 tsp of nutritional yeast.

COWBOY CAVIAR

1 can black beans, drained
    1 can white corn, drained
    2 avocados, diced
    2 roma tomatoes, diced
    1 bunch green onions, tops only, diced

Mix together and stir in the vinaigrette:
    ¼ cup roasted garlic avocado oil (Olive Cart sells it, otherwise use EVOO)
    ¼ cup red wine vinegar
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,633 Member
    Options
    Here is a dead easy carrot recipe to have as a tapas to eat with bread and fish pate. Incredibly tasty despite simplicity.

https://arecipeforgluttony.wordpress.com/2013/09/25/in-portuguese-marinated-carrots/