Harder time in the winter months?

Options
Is anyone else struggling a lot more right now? Any tips from people who have successfully dieted during the winter?

Replies

• MonMonTails
    MonMonTails Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just want to say you're not alone in this!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I still go outside for walking in the winter, and most winters it seems like it's easier to lose weight for me.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I think it may somewhat depend on where one lives as well. For example I live in Florida it never gets truly cold where I live. It is a major news event if there is a wind chill advisory or even a warning we could get a freeze. So to me it makes no difference. I am a tad annoyed after having a burst of nice weather it is make in higher 80's today.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have the same issue. It seems I have gained most of the weight back that I lost over the summer. I am trying to keep the excercise up but it gets harder when it gets colder.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I do find that I am 'hungrier' in winter as it is harder to fill up on salads etc - I want to eat warm food. I do find that home made chunky veggie soups help, and I also bulk out casseroles with lots of veg. Outside exercise is much less appealing for me when it's wet n windy and my summer standby of quite heavy gardening is not happening. We walk and hike a lot and my hubby accepts no excuses (except I am pretty poorly this week). We wrap up warm and accept that sometimes we will get pretty wet. I hate the gym but do use an indoor pool when possible and use aerobics videos if weather outside is really sh1t.
    Good luck - stick with it - it is possible to lose in winter :smiley:
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I don't know about the eating part, yet, but since my only form of exercise is walking, this part is going to be A LOT harder. I leave in the dark, and when I get back home, it's almost dark again. That means I'll have to walk 7-10 km in my suburb, in the dark, possibly in the rain - and I absolutely loathe it. No more long walks in the woods, except on the weekend, if the weather is ok. Yes, I'm a wimp, I hate walking in cold and/or rainy and/or windy weather.

For me that means, for now I've decided to switch to maintenance. That gives me more calories to eat without having to force myself to exercise if I really don't feel like it. If I stay below the limit, great, if I don't, also fine. That will most likely mean losing weight quite a bit slower, but so be it. It just takes a whole lot of pressure off me.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing ❤️ right now it isn’t too cold yet, still about 5C. Just chilly. What’s getting to me I think is the darkness. It’s dark at about 4pm and typically fairly dark and gloomy grey all day long. I feel chilled and cold but it’s not freezing yet. I know it’s coming though!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I find it hard and i'm not even in a "proper" cold place like you guys in the States. I usually stay in maintenance over the coldest months. It's just depressing enough to be cold and in the dark and also starving? no thanks. Get out in the sun as much as possible too.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    having to switch habits here. now that its dark earlier in evenings i'm making myself get up a littler earlier in the morning to get some basic workouts in.
  • intrigame23
    intrigame23 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yes! A couple things I read that I might try to get through this are investing in an SAD light therapy lamp and going for walks during lunch when the sun is out. I tried the walk in the sun a couple days ago and, even though I needed to bundle up a little more, it really helped my mood improve and I was actually able to concentrate on my work afterward! I am also going to drink more hot tea when I've just had something to eat and feel like stuffing my face again. I think I just want warmth so tea and dressing in more warm, cozy clothing might help, too.
  • kiela64
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Today was a little bit better! I had a lot of trouble getting out of bed and I seriously considered holing up and just eating and watching Netflix all day. But I got out and I did 2 tasks - one was finally getting to the gym (just got my membership back and I went swimming!). Then I saw my SO. I’ve also been trying to spend time on knitting, a hobby I haven’t done much in a long time. It’s helped me stop eating quite so much now (still overeating but less compulsive binging). I still feel sad in my chest but I’m taking vitamin D now and I’m hoping these things will help 🤞also today was the first time I had the energy to log in a while.
  • ssfantasea
    ssfantasea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. It is not just the cold but the darkness. It gets lighter later. I no longer get up at 6am. I stay in bed til almost 9.
    I don't work in the yard until 8 pm anymore. It's dark by 4:30. So we just lost over 6 hours a day of activify. Not to mention trying to squeeze in a work out while playing beat the clock. those of us with seasonal affective disorder this time of year is devastating in many ways. I have to eat much less and avoid alcohol and holiday functions of i don't feel the strength to avoid the cookie cart and the hot buttered rum.
    I try to take a winter vacation some place warm and sunny and take long walks on the beach and swim.
    Hang in there
    Ssfantaseea
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    ssfantasea wrote: »
    You are not alone. It is not just the cold but the darkness. It gets lighter later. I no longer get up at 6am. I stay in bed til almost 9.
    I don't work in the yard until 8 pm anymore. It's dark by 4:30. So we just lost over 6 hours a day of activify. Not to mention trying to squeeze in a work out while playing beat the clock. those of us with seasonal affective disorder this time of year is devastating in many ways. I have to eat much less and avoid alcohol and holiday functions of i don't feel the strength to avoid the cookie cart and the hot buttered rum.
    I try to take a winter vacation some place warm and sunny and take long walks on the beach and swim.
    Hang in there
    Ssfantaseea

Oh how I envy you people who are able to do that. I still have to be at work at 6.45 am at the latest, so no staying in bed. Also, too poor to even think of a winter vacation somewhere nice and warm - post some pictures if you do go, I'll live vicariously through them! :smile:
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For me it's the other way around, there's less to do outside in winter so I can spend all my time in the gym lol.....And it's nice and empty cause most people can't be bothered in winter:D
  • kiela64
    Options
    ssfantasea wrote: »
    Hang in there
    Ssfantaseea

Oh how I envy you people who are able to do that. I still have to be at work at 6.45 am at the latest, so no staying in bed. Also, too poor to even think of a winter vacation somewhere nice and warm - post some pictures if you do go, I'll live vicariously through them! :smile:

Same! My shifts vary but with my commute my earliest shift needs me up by 5:30am.