8 Showstopping Pies for Thanksgiving

Options
2»

Replies

• thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    skram01 wrote: »
    I got my pie crust recipe from my mum. It's "some" flour, "milk," "some butter you know" and "I don't know, an egg." Mix it till it's "like this."

This sounds like how I cook.
    I got my pie crust recipe from my mum. It's "some" flour, "milk," "some butter you know" and "I don't know, an egg." Mix it till it's "like this."

I have a lot of recipes like that from my Polish grandmother! One of my favorite instructions was "cook until soft to taste." Wut? Soft isn't a taste, Babcia! :lol:

I do look at recipes sometimes, but that freestyling way of being shown how to cook is hard to break out of. For something new, I look at the ingredients list and then just do what seems logical in my own head. I have a grounding in basic techniques and it's enough for me. I suck at baking because you actually do have to follow specific steps and I'm like "recipe, don't tell me what to do!" :D

Exactly!! I'll look at a variety of recipes to see if there is a general consensus on ingredients or ratios but then I just throw things in. I'm trying to be a better baker but it feels clunky to have to follow a recipe!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    skram01 wrote: »

This sounds like how I cook.

I have a lot of recipes like that from my Polish grandmother! One of my favorite instructions was "cook until soft to taste." Wut? Soft isn't a taste, Babcia! :lol:

I do look at recipes sometimes, but that freestyling way of being shown how to cook is hard to break out of. For something new, I look at the ingredients list and then just do what seems logical in my own head. I have a grounding in basic techniques and it's enough for me. I suck at baking because you actually do have to follow specific steps and I'm like "recipe, don't tell me what to do!" :D

This is why I prefer cooking to baking (and use recipes as inspiration or for ideas rather than following them).

I used to bake because I thought it was a skill I should have (and I liked eating the results), but preferring cooking to baking meant I basically stopped baking other than at holidays when I started watching calories. Laziness can be a friend!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    That said, this thread is inspiring me and I'm definitely going to come up with something fun to bake for Thanksgiving.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I like to bake because I like to see other people enjoy the things I made.

But, recipes also annoy me. I'll usually take a traditional recipe and add my own spin on it. Last year I took a yellow cake recipe and turned it into snickerdoodle cake with cookie topping.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    OP is decidedly lacking in the pecan pie department - the only showstopping pie I need at Thanksgiving...

ga2s1nw7s2gl.png

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/chocolate-pecan-pie-recipe-magpie-artisan-pies-thanksgiving-pie-recipe-ideas

• AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    3hzle80sg8ck.jpg

You left off the best one!! Pecan pie :yum:
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP is decidedly lacking in the pecan pie department - the only showstopping pie I need at Thanksgiving...

ga2s1nw7s2gl.png

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/chocolate-pecan-pie-recipe-magpie-artisan-pies-thanksgiving-pie-recipe-ideas

Okay just saw this one. I feel better now :grin:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I like for there to be other pies at Thanksgiving so there is more pecan pie for me :smile:

^Evil Genius
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Apple strudel is an interesting idea.

It's mainly just an excuse to try making strudel dough. That and I prefer it to pie. I think that my Thanksgiving trend this year is, "bucking all of the trends". I'm pretty sure the last time I made it I used this recipe and it was successful.

I made strudel once. It was fun, and , quite interesting when we got to the part in the recipe that said “roll it out to a thin sheet 6 feet long by 3 foot wide. When it was all filled and folded up, it might have been about 2 feet long by maybe 6” or 8” wide.

Luckily we had a huge dining room table to accommodate this; took seemingly forevver, but, let me tell you I can still bring up memories of how yummy the final result tasted!

Pie crust for the speed prize, strudel for the dessert prize.

Enjoy whatever you make!
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Well a couple of the pies look very interesting I may just try one. I love to make pie, and truly enjoy baking. Actually having a pie day Friday for those that shop Black Friday or work it. So that citrus custard looks great.