I don't understand my Nutrition stats

Options
So I'm looking over my food log trying to decide something healthy to eat. I'm rather picky and there isn't much for me to work with. So not only do I need help trying to come up with ideas before I say **** it and eat normal cereal or some buttered toast but I came up with one meal. Which is whole wheat thin sandwich rolls and some shrimp i made yesterday. But then all of my protein for the day and then some is gone. How the hell do you limit protein like that and why would you? That sounds pretty bad when trying to help build muscle while losing weight. Or am I just ignorant of what protein actually does? Like I've never really understood what any of the nutrition stuff means anyway. If it tasted good and was easy to make I ate it. Gonna go with the shrimp sandwich for now cause I'm super hungry and its the lowest calorie thing I came up with. But someone help I'm trying to be a little better about how I eat.

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My Fitness Pal nutrition stats doesn't make any sense, apart from total calories. Ignore it. If anything it's just recomended minimum.

If you want to build muscle then you need 1g of protein per pound of lean body weight. All the other I would just fill up how you feel like - fat, carbs, whatever. Make sure you are in your calorie limits and have enough protein, don't worry about rest.
  • Raven2evil
    Raven2evil Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    How do you find out lean body weight? I mostly want the muscle cause it helps with burning and keeping off fat.
  • Haveaday1102
    Options
    I believe the guidelines are based off of the recommended daily values of the 2,000 calorie diet. Everyone has different dietary needs. If you are diabetic then you wouldn't want to overload on carbs anymore then you would want to overload on protein. In diabetics and other people with kidney issues, too much protein can be harmful. Personally, I have to watch sodium because I'm supposed to be following a cardiac diet. The best thing I could recommend is to go to a website like choosemyplate.gov and look at how to have a balanced nutritional diet. Good luck!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    How do you find out lean body weight? I mostly want the muscle cause it helps with burning and keeping off fat.

Given your goal weight it's probably around 100lbs, I'd try to eat that much in grams of protein, daily. You won't put on any muscle but you'll maintain what you have with a proper strength training program and good protein intake.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Personally I try to go over on protein and fiber, and stay under on calories, fat, and carbs. I track cholesterol and try to be under most days. this strategy is working for me. Those are just guidelines, some are maximums - and some are minimums. Shrimp sandwich sounds very good!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Just here to agree... mfp protein goal is a minimum. You'd have to eat a loooooooottttttttt of extra protein before you do any harm.