BMR and TDEE - WTHeck!!!

Options
I used the calculator at http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ to help me figure out these two numbers. Per their calculator my BMR is 1755 per day and TDEE is 2490. Does this mean that I am supposed to be eating 1755 calories per day? I am so confused about these two numbers and what they mean. Any help would be greatful! Thanks!

Replies

• RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    BMR/RMR is what you body would burn if you were to sit in bed all day and literally do nothing. If you were in a hospital in a coma, the doctors would use this number to keep your body functioning.

TDEE is total daily energy expendure. This includes your BMR/RMR plus any other activity like walking to the kitchen, going for a run, etc.

So yes, you should AT LEAST eat 1755 or you'll be having troubles later on. If you want the -500 cals a day to = 1-lb a week weight loss, remove 500 cals from your TDEE... which for you is 1990 I believe. So... yeah.
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank You Ruby! I think I have it now. Apparently I am not eating enough. My weightloss has completely stalled although I am working out 5-6 times per week. So in essence I need to go into MFP and change my net from 1540 to 1990? Thats gonna be tough to hit....I havent consistently eaten that many calories in a long time...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thank You Ruby! I think I have it now. Apparently I am not eating enough. My weightloss has completely stalled although I am working out 5-6 times per week. So in essence I need to go into MFP and change my net from 1540 to 1990? Thats gonna be tough to hit....I havent consistently eaten that many calories in a long time...

If you calculated your TDEE accurately, you want to eat 1990 calories total, not net. Your exercise is already included with your TDEE. You do not eat extra exercise calories with this method.
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That makes sense! Thank you so much!