Working out newbie

So I want to start incorporating working out into my life. I’m currently very overweight so I can’t run marathons 🙈 what advise can you give me . Where do I start? What should I aim for ? I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing here. Thank you 😊

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Walking and just moving more is a good place to start...start slow and build up. Fitness is something that is built over time. Diving into the deep end and doing too much too soon is about the worst thing you could do...it typically leads to quickly burning out and/or injury.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    GeexJai14 wrote: »
    So I want to start incorporating working out into my life. I’m currently very overweight so I can’t run marathons 🙈 what advise can you give me . Where do I start? What should I aim for ? I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing here. Thank you 😊

walking is always good.

if you want to run look at C25K.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Start with walking. Take dedicated walks every day. Start with either a set time or distance, do that every day until it's easy. Then increase pace but keep the time or distance consistent. Once you can easily walk 2 miles in 30 minutes, start a program like C25K if you want to start running.

Also, no need to join a gym. Body weight and household objects are all one needs to incorporate strength training when they start.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Agree with those suggesting to start walking. If you try to do too much too quickly, it will likely backfire. Whatever you do today, do a little bit more tomorrow. As long as you put some additional progressive stress on your body, it will recover and adapt. But you have to build. Lay some foundation first. Take your time. When you've increased your walking distance, add some more things you might like to do.

And eventually (IMO)....lift heavy (but do that by starting light and progressing - notice a theme here?).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    a marathon is a big goal lol. Lot of people here don't run marathons. If you want to run I agree with trying the c25k app. I just finished it myself a couple weeks ago.

Also just walking is a good place to start. I love walking and hiking.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I *do* run marathons . . . but I didn't when I started. I began by walking, either outside or on a treadmill. As I lost weight and felt more energetic, I began running in tiny bursts. Literally, tiny . . . . like run for 1 minute, walk for 5, then run for another minute. I gradually increased it until I was eventually just running. I did it based on how I felt, but I've heard amazing things about the C25K app, which is just a plan that does that same thing.

But that's only if you *want* to run. Even if you never want to run, walking is a good form of exercise.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'd also add that finding something you enjoy doing is important so that you will stick with things. This might take some trial and error. I've found over the years that people tend to have a pretty myopic view of what constitutes exercise or a good workout and they are forcing themselves to do things they don't particularly enjoy...ie droning away on stationary equipment, jumping around your living room to DVDs, thinking that you have to be practically puking to have had a good workout, etc.

My primary form of exercise is cycling...it's as much recreation and hobby as it is exercise. I also enjoy my time in the weight room. Other than that, I do some hiking and rock climbing here and there...all pretty much recreational activity.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can....

Walking
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    edited November 2018
    I agree with the others who stated that walking is a good idea. I hate exercise and honestly dreaded it when I started. I already lost the majority of my weight and I’m 20lbs from goal (125lbs lost so far) and I only recently started working out.

A few months ago I started with 3 miles a day 2 days a week of walking at a 2.7 pace. Now I am up to 3 miles a day 5 days a week at a 3.2 mile pace. It may not be much, but it is something.

Keep in mind that any activity is good activity!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Great suggestions above. I'd just add to find something you enjoy and do that as best you can, then next time do it better/longer/further.

For me that was cycling. I went out and bought a bike and a helmet and hit the road.

My first ride was 1.8km (about 1 mile) and I had to get off and walk up the one tiny hill near my house. The next time I went out I did that 1.8km a little bit quicker and got a little bit further up that hill. Then I conquered that hill, then there was no stopping me. Little by little in the weeks and months since then I've started to ride longer, ride further and tackle hillier and hillier terrain.

That was 9 months ago and Now I regularly ride upward of 30km (about 20 mile) on training rides a few times a week and completed a charity ride a few weeks ago of 60km (40 mile).

And the best part. I love cycling so it never feels like I'm 'Working Out'. I'm just enjoying a ride and the happy side effect is that I'm getting fitter and healthier!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Start with what you can do and build on it.
    There are lots of ways to be active like riding a bike, dancing, swimming, yoga, etc.
    Walking is pretty easy for most people and can be done indoors or out. You can gradually increase your time, distance or pace. A pedometer or fitness tracker might be helpful.
    There are lots of workouts on you tube you could try out. Look for short beginner workouts. I like Jessica Smith videos.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Agree with the find something you enjoy, but preface it with you may need to do something you don't.

I got into running (started walking, then C25K but longest run has been a half marathon). So I run 25-30km a week. I usually enjoy it.

I also am lifting heavy 3 times a week. I don't enjoy it. I do it because I know it's good for me and will help my running as well as my body composition.

But, in both cases, start off slower than you think you can do to avoid injury. And if you take up running, get good shoes from a good running store. Cheaper than buying a bike :)
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Find something you like and do that. Exercise isn't as complicated as it is made out to be by marketing, you don't need the latest trainers or a fancy gym, you just need to move :smiley:
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    You can run marathons if you’re overweight. You just can’t run marathons without proper training. I was morbidly obese when I started running with C25K, but I followed the plan along with logging my food to make sure I was in a calorie deficit. I gradually got better at running and lost the weight. Today I maintain in my optimal BMI range and run half marathons—I just don’t have any desire to train for a full.