No keto, low carb just what fits in calorie goal?

Options
Okay so I guess I’m just doubting myself, I need to hear some success stories of people that haven’t done keto, intermittent fasting, low carb, Paleo.
While I do tend to stay away from a lot of white carbs and of course I try to eat as much fruit and veggies as possible sometimes I eat a hotdog for lunch because well I have 6 kids...
& it works for me.
But it’s hard to stay in the donwhat works for you mind set when your constantly seeing other people doing all these different stuff.
For me I just know I couldn’t do keto or any of those other things long term.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'm maintaining quite happily at 165lbs and just starting a short focused cut - no low carb (in fact, even now i'd say i'm on the higher carb side); higher protein (125g) and moderate fat (my higher calorie days at 2400ish and low are 2000) - based on where I was, that is a deficit of 600ish a day from where i was a month ago
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Me! I lost 100lbs (twice, sadly) using NONE of those. Most rencently i lost 30 or so pounds (at least i stopped before gaining another 100!). I tracked calories and ate foods i liked and that kept me satisfied.

I eat carbs! and i don't fast.
  • JLHuntah
    JLHuntah Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What a refreshing post! I'm tired of constantly trying out new ways to eat, especially since I like ALL the food. I just ate a bag of Lays Baked chips and a bowl of soup. Know what? 300 Cal lunch. it really is about portion sizes (which is my issue). I do find however that i can beat cravings by making sure I include Fat/Protein and the right carbs into my meals.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    Me too! No named diet and no "off-limits" foods. This is a long-term diet adjustment for me, not a quick weight loss tool. Also, nothing makes you want something more than being told you can't have it!! That said, my diet is pretty light on the simple carbs. This is mostly a product of trying to be calorie efficient. Simple carbs are just not very filling for the calorie count so I tend to stick to more veggies, protein, etc so that I can feel satisfied and maintain a deficit while I am trying to lose. About 1 day a week I have a meal with bread or pasta, something super carby and that has quickly become enough to keep me from craving that sort of food for the rest of the week.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I do my best to hit my protein and fiber goals, and am always trying to eat more veggies, but otherwise I just... eat and log, log and eat. I don't worry about clean or carbs or what time it is. I lost 20 lbs and have kept it off for a couple of years. It just got cold here and I'm wanting potatoes so I'm planning on eating as many roasted potatoes as I can fit in my dinner calories with some protein for the foreseeable future :lol: And having pizza on Friday.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i've done just eating what i'd like in my calorie allotment. i often have ice cream or dessert for dinner. sometimes i have cake for breakfast.
    i lost 50lbs. i gained much of it back when i stopped tracking what i was eating and stopped moving as much(double whammy)
    now i've lost 20 doing the same
    eat what makes you happy. eat what makes you feel full and satisfied.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Lost 40 lbs just eating less and moving more.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I did it. I focused on generally getting enough protein and fat. Other than that, I just ate what I liked within the context of my calorie goal. I eat what makes me feel happy, satisfied, and energized. Lost over 40 pounds and have been maintaining that weight loss since late 2015.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Okay so I guess I’m just doubting myself, I need to hear some success stories of people that haven’t done keto, intermittent fasting, low carb, Paleo.
    While I do tend to stay away from a lot of white carbs and of course I try to eat as much fruit and veggies as possible sometimes I eat a hotdog for lunch because well I have 6 kids...
    & it works for me.
    But it’s hard to stay in the donwhat works for you mind set when your constantly seeing other people doing all these different stuff.
    For me I just know I couldn’t do keto or any of those other things long term.

Yep, I do lower than the SAD with respect to carbs, but I still have between 150 and 200g per day to get my 2025 calories.

I'm about 30-40% carbs and similar for fat and protein.

I've lost 50 pounds since February.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I focused on accurately hitting my calories. I lost 25 lbs around five years ago and have run a couple bulk/cut cycles and maintained all by focusing on calories. I have a varied diet and enjoy what I want in moderation. The only macro I focus on is protein. I usually hit my fat minimum easily and let my carbs fall where they will.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Lower Carb = Lower ACI which is the rolling 3 month blood glucose reading. Critical number for type 2 Diabetics. To lose weight totally agree it is a calorie deficit that makes it happen. But if I just had the deficit and did not change what I ate as a diabetic it would impact me. Therefore I go with a Low Carb, but not high fat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I'm keto for health and appetite suppression, but I had hot dogs today (I have 3 kids). Well, it was 3 bratwurst/smokies for dinner, just no bun...

If keto works for you, great. If you have another weight loss method that works well for you, great. Do whatever works for you, and aim to eat healthfully.