Heart rate bands

Options
What are some good and inexpensive heart rate sensor bands? I'm referring to the ones that go around your body. And how do you connect them to your phone to see your heart rate? Do certain bands come with certain apps?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Polar has a decent one that I used to use for running when I tracked my HR with my phone. It will connect to your phone and then any app will be able to use it. I believe I have the H7. A quick check on their website shows an H10 model. I would assume it is just a newer version.

I eventually grew tired of using my phone and got a Garmin with an HRM strap. At some point I stopped tracking HR and no longer use it for training. YMMV.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar H10 - works well, I like it. I sync it to a different app tho Wahoo Fitness it's called. Someone told me it was better than the actual Polar app so I just blindly followed their advice.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I just replaced my antique Garmin one (it literally disintegrated when I went to change the battery - it didn't owe me anything) with a Wahoo Tickr. The Tickr supports both ANT+ to pair with most watches and Bluetooth to pair it with apps. I also like the design as changing the battery is a snap. Pairing it to Zwift & TrainerRoad was a breeze and, best pof all, it was a little less expensive than the Garmin one.

pr6zst2nszzq.jpg

wiw6pchaxq56.jpg

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I liked the tickr but you have to use bluetooth with it if you want heart rate variability support unfortunately.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    I liked the tickr but you have to use bluetooth with it if you want heart rate variability support unfortunately.

I’m not sure that’s correct. I have a wahoo tickr x (the one with the memory) and it’s connected to my Garmin via ANT+ and my Garmin produces the HRV-specific training stats. It might be my specific Garmin watch though (I have a Fenix 5s).

OP-I use my Wahoo band connected via Bluetooth to my phone (and several possible apps - the Wahoo app, Runkeeper, etc.). The Wahoo straps broadcast in BT and ANT+ at the same time so you can connect to a BT device (like a phone or some watches) and ANT+ (Garmin and some other equipment) at the same time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Got to have that memory ability - the transfer rate of ANT+ isn't fast enough by itself.

DCRainmaker has a good right-up on it. Along with usefulness of HRV so far.

@Duck_Puddle - thanks for that extra info so my next strap is the one with better features.
    While the watch part can determine what is visible to you, the others can log the data usually for analysis later with the right app. A couple out there will take the data file and spit out the results.