Beginner with no equipment

Options
So I'm looking for some kind of work out I can do without equipment. I also struggle with push-ups like I can't even do girl push ups so I'm looking for a way to be able to get better so I can do more of them. Something to start me getting in shape and toned a bit. Maybe some free videos or some ideas.

Replies

• BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Zero to 100 push-ups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW0lK3b7zhA

How to do your first pull-up, then 8 more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0
  • hrmom26
    hrmom26 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    do you have cable? my cable company, comcast has on demand and has a whole slew of fitness videos to watch for free , also you might try your local library. If you have kids and a wii the wii fit plus game is awesome also for a beginner.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You are your own gym
    Nerd fitness.com
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, the You Are Your Own Gym is a great app for bodyweight exercises with various levels of intensity. It doesn't require traditional fitness equipment.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone- "Walk Away the Pounds" videos. They are reasonably priced, easy, fast. It's just walking. Or walk outside... no equipment needed, just some good shoes. IMO, walking is the very best exercise for beginners.
  • serafin366
    serafin366 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wall Pushups are a good start!
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com

It's a great site, and you can search for workouts and filter by parameters like difficulty, length, equipment required, body part worked, etc.

Also, walk. It's great exercise!
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone- "Walk Away the Pounds" videos. They are reasonably priced, easy, fast. It's just walking. Or walk outside... no equipment needed, just some good shoes. IMO, walking is the very best exercise for beginners.

< this actually, love Leslie Sansone - she does full body workout with out if you don't have what she uses it is fine without, I have done her tapes either with or without...>
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    Go for a walk or run, do press ups , star jumps, burpees, sit ups or watch YouTube videos for Zumba or 30 day shred if your feeling fit. If your a bit short of cash look in charity shops or car boot sales to pick up a few bits of equipment.

At the end of the day you could have a fully equipped gym and workout every day and you won't lose a pound if your diet is wrong, get your diet right and you don't need to workout to lose weight!
  • x022893
    x022893 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try pilates, yoga, body weight exercises, walking, or running :)
  • cxdyer
    cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    As a fellow member of the not-so-fit group and unable to do a real push-up, I would like to suggest Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. Yes, she has push-ups in the workouts but you can modify them with wall push-ups then graduate to granny push-ups. with By level 2 or 3 you will probably be doing your first real push-up, like me. I did a real push-up for the first time today since high school!! I'm on day 15 of 30DS and I am already able to do a push-up. Not too many in a row, but I did it.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    "Convict Conditioning" -- the book. It's a great guide to bodyweight training, progressing from a total beginner -- from wall push ups to one hand, from standing pull ups to one hand etc. I also recommend "The Naked Warrior" by Pavel Tsatsouline.
  • tannia929
    Options
    i just joined the site recently. i cannot emphasize how important it is to get your diet right and eat healthy(its difficult to do and im still in the process of learning how to control that lol). i have yet to see the lbs come off but can say that jogging is free, great way to keep you from feeling depressed, and in time gives you results.
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    bump for you are your own gym info
  • Raven2evil
    Raven2evil Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I will say this I have lost at least 10 inches over a year without changing my diet but greatly increasing my physical activity. But I am trying to do both, I am trying to slowly curve my diet to eating healthier but that's a slightly longer process than me getting more in shape. But I will def check out all the options you guys talked about.